How do you take photos under actinics?

BL1

So, I picked up some ricordeas yesterday from my LFS, and they have some AMAZING colors. one has fours heads and is orange/blue/green/purple. But, when I try and take pics under the actinics to see the colors but, it just keeps showing up as a washed out blue. This is the best shot I've been able to get so far.
DSCN0705.jpg

The color doesn't show up with all the lights on?

What are the actinics again?T5 or PC?Do you know the color-420nm,460nm etc.?

The color doesn't show up with all the lights on?

What are the actinics again?T5 or PC?Do you know the color-420nm,460nm etc.?

They're T5s, I'm not sure about the color, I can't find it anywhere the website just says blue. I can see some of the color with all the lights on but, it doesn't pop like it does just with the blue on

So they have amazing color but you can't get the camera to convey it?

You need the professionals help there.A macroshot,a little editing and a nice camera helps.

ahh man,when i saw the thread at first, i thought you were going to have underwater pics:lol:
I can't help much though,i still use auto action settings:mrgreen:

You need to adjust the White Balance setting on your camera. Usually, Auto Mode shots just don't work. You will have to do everything in manual.

So they have amazing color but you can't get the camera to convey it?

You need the professionals help there.A macroshot,a little editing and a nice camera helps.
Yep thats exactly it, I can't reproduce the same colors that I'm seeing.

You need to adjust the White Balance setting on your camera. Usually, Auto Mode shots just don't work. You will have to do everything in manual.
I've tried adjusting it but, the camera only has auto mode, and about 5 other pre-programmed modes. crappy point and shoot camera. I'm saving for a DSLR but, that won't be for a while probably.

Well, just got off the phone with my dad ... and he's thinking about upgrading his camera to some new model that Nikon is coming out with in the next couple months, so when he does he's going to give me his D70. Not too bad, I can't wait to get it so I can get some sweet shots of my corals. That'll save me a lot of money that I can put towards a nice macro lens!

Yep thats exactly it, I can't reproduce the same colors that I'm seeing.

I've tried adjusting it but, the camera only has auto mode, and about 5 other pre-programmed modes. crappy point and shoot camera. I'm saving for a DSLR but, that won't be for a while probably.

There is no "M" setting?

No, there's no "M" setting there's a "preset manual" but all it does it adjust the white balance on it's own though

Oh. I'm sorry. :( That sucks. Can you adjust the color in a photo editing program afterwards? Catherine recommends Adobe Photoshop Elements -- you can download it and use it for free for 30 days.

You're awesome biff! that preset manual thing worked great! It adjusted the color automatically, and it looks very close to what I'm seeing. I'm uploading the photos now to photobucket and I'll post them when I'm done so you guys see what they actually look like!

Back