How does petco catch it's fish ?

lilduud

Reefing newb
I know they're pretty shitty about care... But I was wondering how they caught they're tropical fish. I know that sketchy dealers dump chemvals into the water but what about petco? I don't know to support them or not hah

They get their fish from the cheapest importers they can find.
I can say for sure,but I have seen their fish showing signs of cyanide poisoning.

I don't know how they get their fish. Cyanide fishing is illegal almost everywhere in the world. I have gotten about half the fish in my tank from Petco. Their survival rate doesn't seem to be any different than the survival rate of fish I have bought at my LFS for much more money. I've had most of my fish for 5+ years. It depends on the store, too. Some Petcos' aquatics department look like crap and the people obviously don't know what they're doing. But you walk into another, and they have a great staff and their aquatic livestock is in great shape.

I agree with Biff. It depends on the store. I believe wholesale dealers are all pretty much the same. It's the retail level where the animals are ignored and often die. Of course this is mostly speculation. :)

+1 Biff
IMO it also definitely depends on the store. My hometown Petco (50 minutes from my current Petco while i'm at college), is garbage...half the time I visit, their stock has ich or is laying on it's side in the tank. The one down here by my school however, is much better, not necessarily on LFS standards but they have healthy anemone, yellow / hippo tangs, lions, saw a harlequin tusk today, healthy feather dusters, scooters that i've essentially watched grow over the course of a year...I don't know how they do it but they're obviously doing something right!

I picked up a skunk cleaner shrimp and Astrea snails (3) and banded trochus snails (2) from them today!

+1 Biff, My scooter and my clown both came from PETCO.

As to how they aquire their livestock I can tell you with almost 100% confidence that they use the same suppliers that any other LFS or online store uses.

My local Petco is probably cleaner and better kept than any other fish/pet store around.

haha dam alright now im even more conflicted but ill probly continue to buy from them with a bit of guilt hah. the one i go to does not know what they are doing hens their rapidly deteriorating frag tank.
maybe il just work there and save EVERYTHING :D
my main concern is the cyanide dumping but everything i have purchased has been doing wonderful in my tank ad nothing so far [knock on wood] has lived.
ive purchased alot from there too haha.

The Petco in my city is awsome. The owner really takes care of his Marine livestock. He pays more to get the fish from reputable distributors which makes me happy and my tank :). He also will take in fish that people dont want anymore. He will but them in a QT for a couple weeks then acclimate them to the main area. All my fish came from there and are doing great.

Fish that have been caught with cyanide don't live long. Their colors are usually very vivid (unnaturally so). Their life span is a couple months at most after they've been caught. I've never noticed unusually colored fish at my Petco, and the fish I have bought there are still with me, so I highly doubt they were caught with cyanide.

I think a lot of depends each individual store.Both the Petcos here in Chattanooga are known for dead and dying fish.They look great and have awesome colors for a while then start looking extremely UN-healthy.
Even when I had a fresh water tank,I couldnt keep petco fish alive for more than a couple of months.

My local petco and petland order most of their fish from a company call APET. They are based a couple hours away and everything is trucked in via climate controlled vechicals.
I don't know much about the companies practices other than that. I was browsing thier website the other day.

You also have to remember a big company like PETCO has to worry about PR and such, so there will be some sort of quality control happening I would imagine. Petco execs wouldn't put their brand name on the line and give each store total free reign. Or if they are they are taking a big risk.

i wouldnt trust petco at all,they had a show on animal planet that shows they dont know where any of there animals come from,the puppies turned out came from puppy mills and were sold sick and to me thats the worst crime, that and they charge an ridiculs price for them,i was looking at a jack russle they had and they wanted over 500 bucks for it and it wasnt even registered with a decent company,no way in gods green earth will i pay such a price! its a major ripoff and if they support puppy mills what else do they suport?! and they even lie to the buyers saying the pups come from loving homes and responcible breeders!,this is just my opinion though

As far as I know, Petco doesn't sell dogs. Petland does and has been busted for getting their dogs from puppy mills several times. I think you are confusing them. I refuse to shop at any store that sells dogs or cats, and Petco actually partners with animal shelters and rescue groups to put on adoption fairs.

ok your right i did get them mixed up sorry bout that lol and here i went all haywire bout it lmao,sorry yalls,in my area all we have is petlands,i hate them!

It's okay, I hate Petlands too. They are a pretty controversial store because of the way they get their puppies and cats. But it's cheaper for them to pay the fines than to stop selling them, unfortunately! I don't shop for ANYTHING at Petland. I refuse to give them my money.

Both the petcos and petsmarts around here sale dogs and cats at times.They usualll start selling them then get busted a month or so later.Then they wait a few months and right back at it.

Again, Petcos and Petsmarts don't sell dogs and cats. They give local shelters and rescue groups a space to put their animals up for adoption. The cats and dogs you see at those two stores are from the pound. When you pay the money for that animal, it's an adoption fee that goes to the shelter.

Both the petcos and petsmarts around here sale dogs and cats at times.They usualll start selling them then get busted a month or so later.Then they wait a few months and right back at it.

+1 Biff. It's against both of their company's mission statements and policies to SELL dogs and cats. PetSmarts usually keep cats on site for adoption that come from local shelters but never dogs unless they have volunteers from the shelter in the store with the dogs that take them back to the shelter at the end of the night.

PetSmart/Petco are at least smart enough to know that they don't have the resources to give dogs what they need. I know PetSmart has a program specifically designed for puppy mill and adoption awareness and education.

Back