How does this happen ?

Lesely

Reefing newb
hi,
Ok, strange things are happening.
We got the lights back up for the first time in the new tank last night.corals had no light for 48 hrs prior and they had only been in the new tank for 8 hrs when things started changing.
My beautiful white (favorite white) coral thats been white for 15 months, growing fast & very healthy went from this
coral 1.JPG

to this (in 8 hours)

photo (2).JPG

My green BTA has split into 3 now

and my red bta that had turned brown and lost all his bubbles has now gone the blood red again and got all his bubbles back.

How can this happen in 8 hours ?
Can anyone tell my why ? I hope this is a good thing and not a bad thing ?

thanks

When you moved them, how did you acclimate them to the new tank? Unless they shared the same water system as the old tank, you would need to acclimate them to the new one, I would assume.

When you moved them, how did you acclimate them to the new tank? Unless they shared the same water system as the old tank, you would need to acclimate them to the new one, I would assume.
hi, thanks for that. We didn't acclimate them at all because for the prior 10 days we had exchanged over 1200lt of water BETWEEN the two tanks. By the time we moved everything, all parameters where spot on and each tank contained the same amount of new & old.
Didn't acclimate the fish either. Another thing that is a bit different is we actually use NSW not ASW, so its always very consistent.

Do you have the same lighting?
It is easy to explain your BTA splitting since you just made a move with them. You can fart to loud and a BTA may split.

Now the harder part. The coral and rose BTA may be further or closer to the light causing the spectrum to be a little different which can cause the color to change. I would be hard pressed to explain how could happen in 8 hrs. The coral actually looks healthier to me in the after pic. RBTA's generally produce more zooxanthella in more intense lighting giving it the more redish hues. No one has figured out why some bubble and some have long tentacles but it is not an indicator of any health issues either way. It has been my experience that they seem to bubble more under the more intense LEDs. I don't know how much change you made in position of your specimens from one tank to the other as far as distance from the lighting? I would have to speculate that this is having some effect on them.

Do you have the same lighting?
It is easy to explain your BTA splitting since you just made a move with them. You can fart to loud and a BTA may split.

Now the harder part. The coral and rose BTA may be further or closer to the light causing the spectrum to be a little different which can cause the color to change. I would be hard pressed to explain how could happen in 8 hrs. The coral actually looks healthier to me in the after pic. RBTA's generally produce more zooxanthella in more intense lighting giving it the more redish hues. No one has figured out why some bubble and some have long tentacles but it is not an indicator of any health issues either way. It has been my experience that they seem to bubble more under the more intense LEDs. I don't know how much change you made in position of your specimens from one tank to the other as far as distance from the lighting? I would have to speculate that this is having some effect on them.

Thanks for that info.
Its just such a strange thing to have happen. lol

If that it is alveopora and I think it is, understand that it can get a fatal dose of too much light in a single day and then die off in the next few days.

Back