How fast to move?

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I added the clowns five days ago, and all has gone well. Parameters have not changed at all. I have two pieces being donated to me, a GSP and a pulsing xenia, as soon as we are ready for them. We are also thinking of something to stir up the sandbed. I don't want to move too fast as I hear all the horror stories, but I don't really know how long to wait. It would be nice to have a few goodies in there by Christmas as all the family is coming down to our place this year, and I don't want to impress them too much with my $2000 pile of rock and two nemos......lol

Go ahead and add the GSP and xenias.They wont hurt anything.
You could probably add another fish or 2 also.As long as you keep an eye on your parameters and give new fish time to settle in,you'll be fine.

Cool, I thought I might be going too quick seeing as I just put the clowns in 5 days ago. What are the lighting requirements for the Xenia and GSP? I only have a 2X21W t5 right now, but have a nova coming in soon hopefully. I ordered it a week and a half ago.

I don't think that's enough for the xenia or GSP. That's less than 1 watt per gallon. I would wait until your lights get in, they'll be here soon hopefully.

As for fish, when stocking a new tank, leaving a week or two between new additions is a good idea. So I think you could add a new fish in the next couple days, provided your water parameters stay at 0.

And if you haven't added a cleaner crew, go ahead and add those now.

As far as cleaners, I have 6 snails and 3 hermits. I'd like to add more, but I'm not sure how many I should actually be going with. I want to add a pair of blood(fire) shrimp when my tank can handle them too. I think I really need something to sift the sand as well......so many decisions!

For your sand, add a handful of nassarius snails. Avoid sand sifting stars for now, they require established tanks to survive and will quickly starve to death in a new tank.

If you have the urge to go buy something now, pick up a couple emerald crabs.

I would wait a few more weeks before adding shrimp.

I agree with biff on the starfish. they can even wipe out established sand beds in mature tanks. destroying the fauna that's helpful to the tank. i'm personally not a fan of them. one of those things that should be left in the ocean IMO. a sandsifting goby and a nassarrius snail or two would be you're best bet.

I'm really turned off by the gobies, I only have a 46g and don't care for it to be one of my fish....lol. My lfs doesn't have nasarrius snails, only astrea, cowrie and trochus. I might have to pick up some Nasarrius when I go to T.O. this winter

don't be afraid of sand stars. I have three in my 125 and 1 on my 90. They do just fine if you feed regularly. Wait 2 weeks for your next fish. Also wait to add corals when you get your new lights. You can safely add several corals in a weeks time. I like to add no more than 2 a day. That is just me. Remember I have put in about 30 corals in 5 weeks in my new 90. They are the reason people like corals as opposed to fish (sadly) they are easier to keep, don't die as often and you can add them much faster than fish.

-Doc

Back