How hard is it to break up Live Rock

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
Stupid newb question for you folks.

How hard is it to break up live rock? I'm going to have to tear all my rock out to get rid of all the damn Kenya tree (what the hell was a thinking when I put THAT into my tank) off my rocks.

I have several massive pieces of Live rock. I'd like to break them up so I can do some nicer rock scaping (I'd really like the two island approach with a channel in between)

Do you just go at these things with a hammer and a chisel? Do you need one of those mini sledge's? (I forget what my dad calls them)

I put mine in a pillow case and dropped it off my step a few times.

I dont see why a hammer and chisel wouldnt work though.

Both methods will work...but if you want to try to shape it a certain way, then I'd suggest a small hammer and thin chisel. I've personally used a flat head screwdriver.

I use an old prospector hammer.. that way the chisel is built on..
And sometimes I hit the other end of it with a normal ball peen hammer, that way the prospector hammer is a chisel with a great handle.
For me, I can better select my strike points and get closer to the fragment I wanted. but.. it ain't no exact science!!!
...ya kind-a get what ya get...

Last edited:
It really depends on what rocks they were to begin with.
I have had "rocks" that broke up easily with a chisel and light tapping with a hammer.
I have also broken up "rocks" that were an amalgam of thick coral skeleton and other calcified stuff that bent a flat head screwdriver.

We used the hammer and screwdriver/chisel method for my pukani, since I wanted to have some control over where the breaks occurred. If, however, I had an exceptionally large piece, I could see dropping it off my deck or using the 14 lb splitting maul we have. That thing is a beast....

Back