How has owned a pistol shrimp? Will it kill anything in my tank?

bobby

I like to do bad things.
I have been wanting one for some time, and never seen one till yesterday. My LFS finally got one in and I want it, but will it kill anything I have in my tank and if so what?

Fish:
coral beauty
small black clown
lawnmower blenny

Other animals:
emerald crab
several hermits
several snails
2 peppermint shrimp

then I have several coral and two condy's.

So what do you think? I there is a chance what animals are in danger. I may be able to meove them. If I can't move them I'll have to pass because as most you know I take too many chances and they all fail.LOL

From my understanding they are reef safe except around very small crabs and shrimps.I only see the peppermints as being iffy around them,especially if they are really small.

Why not get the LFS get your shrimp goby and shrimp pair.

Well I can move the peppermint shrimp the 29 and add the pistol to my 30. I have asked two LFS to order me stuff and they never do. They say they do then when I show up there like what are you talking about. I leave my number with them and offer to pay up front and still no dice. This is the first one I have ever seen locally so I think I'll jump on it. Just alittle iffy after finding out how much damage they can do.

I seen Pistol shrimps on the Discovery channel that was ferocious like a mantis.The ones that set up a burrow with a shrimp goby are only scavengers.They only pop their claws in defense of their burrow.Now,I don't know what the LFS is offering you but look elsewhere to make sure its the kind that has a symbiotic relation with a shrimp goby.Find out what species the shrimp is and get a goby that lives with it.

I thought all pistol shrimp would have that relationship. I never seen one likr it, it was brownish color with yellow on the claw. Looked very neat. I asked what kind and they just said it's a pistol shrimp and then said I think there is only one kind.

There are definitely more than one kind and not all have a symbiotic relation with the shrimp goby.Maybe the only ones available might be.The one I saw on TV was a deep water and killed a skunk cleaner right through a glass jar.

Use the search function at Liveaquaria.It showed a dozen or so species of pistol shrimps.I would of posted a link but you can't link to a search.

Theres one pistol shrimp that is kinda white and brownish striped that has a symbiotic with gobys.Its fairly small,about 1/2" long at most.Dont have a clue about species though.
But like Reef said,some are just as quick and deadly as a mantis.Only they'll shoot their prey instead of beatting it to death.

This shrimp was almost 3 inches long at the LFS. They said it was the biggest one they ever had.

Well I'll be better safe than sorry this time. LOL Yup this will be a first for me.LMAO Man I really wanted a pistol shrimp too, but not if it will have a chance of killing things.

Back