How high is too high for TDS ?

Sunshine

Reef enthusiast
Before my LFS closed, I used their TDS meter to check my RO water. It was 008. Is that too high ? I have a 6 stage RO system. I changed the filters on the 3 that hang down. It tested 008 after I changed them.

Last edited:
008 is not bad at all. I don't change out my filters until it gets to 040 or so. But my tap water is really bad (it comes out the faucet at 400 to 500). Other people are pickier, and won't use water if it gets above 010.

I have a large commercial system that I use for washing solar panels. Its designed for commercial window washing. Its rated at 100k gallons before you need to change the RO filter. It always reads 000 on the out flow TDS meter.

It depends on the source water. You don't want less than 95% pure water (98% is even better). If the TDS of the source water is 100 ppm, when you see 5 ppm on the TDS is time to either change the DI resins or the RO membrane.

It depends on the source water. You don't want less than 95% pure water (98% is even better). If the TDS of the source water is 100 ppm, when you see 5 ppm on the TDS is time to either change the DI resins or the RO membrane.

Maybe I should change my filters. My regular top water reads 056 on the TDS meter.

Mine is a six stage. What are the 2 on top that look like charcoal ? They are in a clear tube. I was looking at it tonight, it looks more brown.

Back