how important is moonlights

d.french

Reef enthusiast
dont know much about moon lights but i just found a very small light strip that you can add to existing lights it is 48 inches for my 75 gallon it is 3 inches wide and 1.5 inches tall and has a moon light every 2 inches for 50 bucks i just ordered one and was curious how long to have on at night and if they are beneficial for coral.

It has been stated that most corals spawn during the moonlit nights. Not that any would survive, but I am sure that it is good for the corals. It probably helps wild caught fish adapt easier too. I don't know what other lights you have, but I'd just put them on a timer opposite your daylights. HTH....

I agree with what Sailfin said.

If you have a wave controller that has a tide controll for your powerheads in conjunction with the moonlights on a moon cycle it can help with fish/coral spawning etc...

Unless you want to buy some expensive controllers such as a tunze 7095 though its mainly just for looks in my opinion.

Brandon

The ocean is usually not completely dark even when the moon is not out, so you be the judge. actually it is not a good idea to let your system go completely dark. it dosnt take much, even a very small subdued light in an adjacent room etc. would work. the moon light is for cycling moon phase and for astetics for the human. I have a string of three light tubes on a moon phase controller that manipulates intensity and moon cycle to 15 degrees north lattitude. the moon cycle is different than the sun by 50 minutes each day. that is why you see the moon during the day at times. anyway im getting ahead of my self. moon light is a good idea and like already mentioned just set it to come on 1/2 hour before last lights out and go off 1l/2 hr after 1st lights on. good luck. have fun.

Also if dont have metal halide and want add a shimmer to your water you canleave them on 24/7.Since they are LEDs they are pinpoint light source and will help add a shimmer look to your water.I bought on ebay string of moon light that change colors(red,orange,green and purple blue)like christmas lights.

Back