How long can a peacock mantis shrimp live?

bkc824

Reefing newb
I have one and its really cool sometimes but its a pain to feed. Not sure if i wanna get rid of him yet since it took me 2 years to find him...

why is he a pain to feed?
Most people have them living in their tanks for years as pests and wish they would die! :lol:

man fifteen minutes,i have to drive like 45 minutes every two weeks to get water.But I bet if you dont put anything in there but frozen after a few days he will eat it,you spoiled him..

I understand. I have thought of getting one before but was concerned about feeding it. I also thought it would be expensive to feed it live crabs.

I mean the price isnt an issue for me (im 15 and my parents buy it) :] but just having to go get the food lol . its so picky & i tried feeding it a freshwater emrald crab and when he killed it all white came out... but he didnt eat it.

Feed him frozen silver sides or raw deli shrimp from the local grocery store. When he gets hungry, he'll eat whatever you toss in there.

Just like a whiny kid at the dinner table. "Daddy, I don't like lasagna, spinach, mashed potatoes etc. etc, etc, etc, "

"Whatever. Don't eat it. But you don't eat anything else the rest of the night either. I'll bet you're hungry at breakfast time tomorrow."

And if he suddenly don't like pancakes and bacon for breakfast the next morning - "Whatever. I wonder if they are serving lasagna for lunch at school today?" :shock:

Kids ain't gonna starve, and neither is a mantis. When he gets good and hungry, he'll eat. :mrgreen:

Feed him frozen silver sides or raw deli shrimp from the local grocery store. When he gets hungry, he'll eat whatever you toss in there.

Just like a whiny kid at the dinner table. "Daddy, I don't like lasagna, spinach, mashed potatoes etc. etc, etc, etc, "

"Whatever. Don't eat it. But you don't eat anything else the rest of the night either. I'll bet you're hungry at breakfast time tomorrow."

And if he suddenly don't like pancakes and bacon for breakfast the next morning - "Whatever. I wonder if they are serving lasagna for lunch at school today?" :shock:

Kids ain't gonna starve, and neither is a mantis. When he gets good and hungry, he'll eat. :mrgreen:

AHHAHA
Thats pretty much it.
Take a silver side and either stick it on a feeding prong or use feeder tongs.Wiggle the silver side like its a wounded fish and your mantis will more than likely go after it.

you must be at my house for dinner

I don't have a peacock mantis but he eats frozen and fish that I put in his tank. They don't eat when they are molting or new to a tank until they are comfortable. Does he have a home made yet.

Oh damn I wish I could do that at my house. That made me laugh.

Oh damn I wish I could do that at my house. That made me laugh.

You CAN.

You only have to do it once or twice. They learn. After that, it's smooth sailin' at dinner time. They'll eat cat food if you put it in front of em. :mrgreen:

Not that I would do that.........
vomit-smiley-015.gif

Last edited:
Back