How long do heaters last?

if you get a temp controller your heaters can last a lot longer because when someone says it went bad they usually are referring to a stuck thermometer so if you have a temp controller it takes over the on and off duties of the heater

I try to replace my heaters in the fall.Mainly because I've never had one last much longer than a year.Seems that during the summer when the heater dont run,is when the stat likes to stick on em.

I had the same question...I'm so scared of one day the heater dying and everything perishing in the tank, freezing or getting burned alive! My plan is to buy one of the thermometers with temperature control on it, and put it in the tank with my other thermo. So, if that thermo dies, the other one will pick up the slack...Now if it sticks in the on position....I don't know how to prevent that..

Q: How long do heaters last?

A: Until they break.

:mrgreen:

Who the hell knows. Thats kinda like asking how many miles you get out of a set of tires. Lots of outside factors to consider and a million variables. Too many to actually give a definitive answer.

I had the same question...I'm so scared of one day the heater dying and everything perishing in the tank, freezing or getting burned alive! My plan is to buy one of the thermometers with temperature control on it, and put it in the tank with my other thermo. So, if that thermo dies, the other one will pick up the slack...Now if it sticks in the on position....I don't know how to prevent that..

You can get controllers that will take care of that.They have a temp probe you just stick in your tank somewhere.Then you just crank the stat on the heater up and let the controller do its job.

Q: How long do heaters last?

A: Until they break.

:mrgreen:

Who the hell knows. Thats kinda like asking how many miles you get out of a set of tires. Lots of outside factors to consider and a million variables. Too many to actually give a definitive answer.

You're probably wrong with respect to heaters. Many manufacturers have precisely calculated the Mean Time Between Failures (MBTF) or mean time to failure (MTTF), for many products, especially the automakers. I'm guessing buy a new heater every 18 months and use the old one to heat water prepared for a change out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_time_between_failures

Back