How long in bag from fish store?

If you mean mushrooms and polyps.......

A couple hours. Temperature is the most important thing. They don't really need a lot of oxygen.

Depends on the temp.
They ship em over night in bags every day.As long as the tamp stays stable,they'll be fine.

you can allways do what i do, when i know i'm going to the fish store, i just grab one of my styrofoam coolers, put it in the vehicle i'm taking to the store, and then whatever life i buy, goes in there. helps keep the temp stable, and puts them in the dark, which from what i can figure, helps reduce stress. I do this for anything (living)i buy..

ofcourse the styrofoam coolers are something i just have laying around(its normal redneck equipment)

but you can get them at gas stations and heb's and wallyworld, places like that.

As everyone said the temp is going to play a big part in how long they will last in a bag, but it will also matter what type of soft coral.

cooler idea is a great suggestion, you can also buy those insulated bags from the grocery stores that work well.

Since I got into the hobby, almost all of my stuff has come from at least 4 hours away. So far either me or my dad, have gotten fish, corals, live rock, and a few inverts.

The only issue we have had was with live rock. They just wrap it in newspaper at the store. After my initial cycle I bought 60 more lbs of rock and it started a much bigger cycle than what I had with initial start up with local stuff. Otherwise everything else has made it just fine!

+3 on the Styro Coolers. Not to mention they stabilize the new purchases on the long drive home. What I have done since I live 1 hour from the LFS, is put corals + fish in bags, into the cooler, and have them add acclimated water in the cooler around the stock (1/4-1/3 full around the bags) and that not only keeps the temp more stable, it also helps movement.

Im no pro, but it seems to work for me

Back