how long should i wait to add coral?

Thanx everyone! only $3.99! :mrgreen:

3808708897_a1b8bd5ea1.jpg

3808709271_b2e67eff32_o.jpg

they are happy, they just need to stay that way till friday when i get my octopus 100F.

please nitrates, just hold off a little longer :x:

This store has been around forever. They were the first to do saltwater right in Tampa back in the 90's. Now they only have a few frags and some turbos due to the recession. :pooh:

im going back there monday after my skimmer is hooked up and buying the rest :mrgreen:

if they are still there :shock: :helm2:

Maybe they're just hard up because of the economy? I wish our store here in Tucson was a little hard up. Just bought 4 new corals today (at SW Aquatics) and paid $311.33
Corals are expensive!

Maybe they're just hard up because of the economy? I wish our store here in Tucson was a little hard up. Just bought 4 new corals today (at SW Aquatics) and paid $311.33
Corals are expensive!

That is a lot more than 3.99, but im assuming they are not brown button polyps lol.

My nitrates are at 20. Are my corals going to die?

As long as you acclimated them properly, they should be fine.
Your new skimmer will help keep nitrates down and keep up on the water changes will also help keep them down.

Buttons are pretty hardy.

Brian

As long as you acclimated them properly, they should be fine.
Your new skimmer will help keep nitrates down and keep up on the water changes will also help keep them down.

Buttons are pretty hardy.

Brian

i may have aclimated them too quickly. I let them sit in the bag for 20 min. Then i added the water pretty quickly, like over 5 minutes. How do you acclimate them:question:

I usually take some air line tube and tie a not in it so water drips out when I pull a syphon on it. I put my stuff in a small bucket and let the water drip into it for an hour or so.

I am sure that the polyps will be fine. Buttons are some of the hardiest corals there are.

Brian

i havent used airline tubing in years! ill have to get some to do it that way though, seems easy and good!

know where i could get some cheap airline tubing for next time?

home depot or other hardware store. Usually can get it for like a couple bucks for 5 feet or so. Go to the plumbing section and get some 1/4" vinyl tubing.

You want to pretty much double or triple the amount of water that they are in initially. That way it is as close to your tank water that you can get it.

Brian

awesome!

can you take corals out of the water and expose them to air for short periods of time, like out of the bucket and into the tank?

also, if you know how to catch crabs, please reply to my invertebrate thread, i found a hairy one lol

thanx again

I kinda sorta acclimate my the same way Bj does,except just until the salinity in the bag matches whats in my tank.

Quick question related to this. Are most soft corals, the low light ones, able to withstand high nitrates(like around 20)?

I've been doing some reading and it seems like a lot of them actually seem to thrive in it...but wasn't sure how accurate that is.

Back