how long to have on white/blue lights?

Anthony357

Reefing newb
i think im leaving my lights on too much, because there is starting to become red algae over some of the rocks and ground, do you think it could be because i am running the lights too long? i run the white light for like 11 hrs and the blue lights for about 12...should i reduce them some? what do some of you guys do in terms of lighting schedules?

Do you have any corals? If so, what kind? And what kind of lights are they?

LAST DAY TO SIGN UP FOR LR SECRET SANTA 2007! PM S13REDLINE NOW! DO IT! OR ELSE! OR ELSE WHAT? YOU SAY. YOU DON'T WANT TO FIND OUT, THAT'S WHAT.

no not really, have about 40 lbs LR and a small zoas frag and 1 individual purple mushroom thats about the size of a dime... i currently have the current usa lights, 2 X 65 and the blues i believe is 10K with a lunar light...i will be upgrading the lighting either late on or when i buy a different tank

You could definitely cut back to around 8 hours a day (total) with what you have. Neither zoas or shrooms are light intensive. That will probably help a little with algae problems.

LAST DAY TO SIGN UP FOR LR SECRET SANTA 2007! PM S13REDLINE NOW! DO IT! OR ELSE! OR ELSE WHAT? YOU SAY. YOU DON'T WANT TO FIND OUT, THAT'S WHAT.

Nothing much to add.With what you have now,6-8 hours is fine.I believe the majority of people keep them on for 12 hours including myself.

You gotta remember,That even in the tropics.You're not gonna get full intense sunlight for 12 hours.Cut back to around 6 to 8 hours.

Back