how long until i should be concerned?

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
My new baby bubble tip nem seems to be doing well so far. But he has gone into hiding...he is in a medium sized hole in a rock and some light gets on there so I can partially see him. When I turn on the light when I get home from work I can see that he responds quickly to the light and bubbles his tenticles right up. But my question is...how long should he be in that hole until I should begin to worry? I can't see his mouth, so idk if it open or closed. I would suspect closed but I can't see. Should I just try to feed him tiny bits of mysis every couple days? Or just leave him be and hopefully he will come out? It's only been two days that I've had him. I know that he is most likley acclimating himself to the tank but how long does that usually take?

Dont worry, I felt the same way when I got mine. They will move until they find somewhere they are most comfortable. I wouldnt be overly concerned about target feeding it, I have never ever fed mine, however the clowns do host it. If memory serves however they dont need to be feed as they are photosynthetic....

Dont freak out when he shrivels up and folds in on himself or has a huge gaping mouth, its natural. They like a lot of flow, maybe thats why he picked that little spot, but I suspect its more along the lines of him just being new to the tank and hasnt settled in yet.

My clowns don't even know it exists lol I also think he is just getting used to the tank. Do you remeber how long it took yours until it settled and found its "spot"?

Well the first day I had her I put her on the sand bed and left her alone. During the night she crawled all the way up my rocks to this little crack. When they lights were off she would shrivel up to this nothing sized pile of goop and during lights on she was HUGE!!! Then she migrated to the back of the tank for a bit where I couldnt see her at all, stayed there for a few weeks until I got tired of it and finally moved her to another rock, she fiddled around with that for a few days until she found her new spot. Honestly it seems like every couple of weeks or so she gets bored and goes house hunting. It takes my clowns a bit to find her as well.

BTA's host a huge amount of clownfish, second only to the sebae I think so if there was a nem your clowns would like, there is a good chance that your BTA will be it. Just give it some time. They may never host it but your chances are good.

Alrighty well I soppose ill leave the little guy alone for now. I can't move him anyways bc there is no way I can get inside that rock. ill just have to wait for him. I really hope my clowns like him that would be awesome but I'm not getting my hopes up bc I have other corals like hammer and frogspawn and they won't host them either. Just the dumb powerhead.

your lights arent on a timer, and just give it time he will probably move. if not aim a powerhead right at his and let him move till you find a spot you like

Back