How long will my cycle take?

AlanR917

Reefing newb
Hello everyone. I was just wondering how long you think my cycle would take. I just put the saltwater in today (1.025 - 1.026 salinity) threw a raw shrimp in the tank to help bacteria grow on the bioballs, and am getting 50 lbs of cured live rock in a week, thats been curing for a few months. Any ideas on how long it will take before it is fish/invert ready? Thank you!

It can take anywhere from a week to a month or more. Just make sure you are testing your water throughout the cycle. Watch the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. The ammonia will spike the go down, then same thing with the nitrites and nitrates. Once the nitrates go down, that means your cycle is done.

Just curious but do you have any rock in the tank or just bio balls? Bio balls will create a lot of nasty nitrates for you later and I would highly recommend getting rid of them sooner rather than later.

Currently I only have bioballs, my live rock doesnt ship until April 3rd. I was told on the TONMO forums that a wet/dry filtration would be the best option for an octopus.

That's right I forgot you were the one wanting an octopus. Well I am sure you know 100% more than I do on that subject so I apologize for butting in:mrgreen:

No, dont be sorry, I'm sorry if it sounded like I was telling you off, I was not trying to make it sound like that, I just figured that it would be different from most other marine fish, and just wanted to clarify. :)

Currently I only have bioballs, my live rock doesnt ship until April 3rd. I was told on the TONMO forums that a wet/dry filtration would be the best option for an octopus.

YAY you are going to go through with the octopus tank :Cheers::mrgreen::mrgreen:

That would be my dream tank but right now i dont have the money or time.....

Good luck and, and remember you can always start a thread in the "Tank showcase". I am sure a lot of people would love to follow it. (Just remember to show a lot of pics ;-) )

Back