how long?

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
There is a reef aquarium that i wanted to have a look at for some fish but its about an hour and 10 minutes away

So I was wondering, I will be close tonight because of a dance lesson (ballroom) and was wondering if I could leave the fish and invertibrates I might pick up in there bags in my car for about 2-3 hours?

Would this cause too much damage due to the temperature drop, it is fairly cold in melbourne at the moment, or would they be fine?

Can you put them in something to stabilize the temperature? Maybe a styrofoam cooler? They send fish and corals by mail, so I don't see why you couldn't do it, it's just a matter of how....and that's where I'm at a loss. If I was goign to try it though, I might get a few towels, put them in the cooler, and thoroughly wrap the bags in the towels so that the temp would stay as stable as possible.

If you get some hand warmers and place them in a styrofoam container with the corals, then they will survive...or else, take them in the building with you to stay warm.

Alright, thanks :) the car will only be cold for about 30 minutes during the lesson, but there is a long drive back. Ill wrap them in some towels and try to keep them as warm as possible.

Corals can withstand lower temperatures for short periods of time than they can extreme temperatures. Take a cooler of some type and you'll be just fine. Don't forget to post pictures! :)

I think the more important thing in this thread than you trying to transport fish and corals 1/2 way across KangarooLand is why you're trying out for Dancing With The Stars...?:bounce:

Look everybody I'm dancin' :bounce::^::bounce::^::bounce:

Haha PRC no trying out for dancing with the stars ;) but i do compete. and the good thing, is the biggest aquarium shop is only 30 minutes away from the studio!

here are some of the goodies i bagged.

got 3 fish:
Foxface - hiding at the moment, pictures tomorrow :D
Pink Anthia - hiding also, havent seen it since i put it in
Lawnmower Blenny - hiding between my duncan and the rock.
018en.jpg

picked up a golf ball coral
009hf.jpg

I think this is a candy cane coral (you tell me?)

008tt.jpg

An Urchin ( this thing is so awesome, never knew how they moved) its sitting in an awkward spot and wasnt getting great light for the picture

013dg.jpg

And also got a couple of peppermint shrimps. which are absolutely tiny! not a bad day at a new LFS i dont think.

And when I put the foxface into the tank, he went near my torch coral which the clowns have taken as their home and must have acted aggressively as the female clown attacked him straight away! hope that doesnt happen again

Pic #2 looks like a sun coral to me, not a candy cane.

I'm no expert, but I placed mine in a darker cave part of my rock. The polyps extend an hour before the light goes out, when I feed and stay out during the night. I believe from what I've heard they like dark spots, require feeding, and can be trained to come out in the light with feeding. I also heard they grow upside down in the wild. I haven't glued mine under a rock yet, but I am thinking about it.

Nice finds!

Yes that orangish pink coral is a Sun Coral. You'll have to spot feed that one.
They look great.

Hey let's see some of those Dancing with Josh pictures! :)

Congrats on your new additions.You did buy some high maintenance corals.Both the goniopora and sun corals will need to be spot fed.Mysis,cyclops for both,maybe twice a week for the goni and every other day for the sun corals.The suns are a non-photosynthetic coral is why they need to be fed often.

Thanks :) I know the golf ball coral is a high maintenence one, wanted to try and keep something a bit harder going. But the guy didnt tell me anything about the sun coral, go figure, i try a different LFS and they dont say anything! :P but thats fine :)

Ill have to get a few dancing pictures up hey?

Back