How many power heads do you run and what formation?????

garydm

Reefing newb
Im just wondering what everyone is running and how many, what size tank, and how do you have the stream set up(example in a circle one pointed at the back glass and one pointed at the front glass).........I have 3 power heads well 2 good ones and one I was sold that doesnt do much....
Mine is
K2
K3
little 300gph runt
I have the k2 at the bottom shooting down the back of the rocks and my k3 is at the top and its pointed at the front glass, and the runt is at the bottom shooting down the front(like half way)
My tank is a 55 gallon
Im just wondering if 2 k model power heads is enough???? and if there is such a thing asto much flow

i dont use powerheads, well, thats not true, i do have one... but as a general rule, i use harbor freight fountain pumps...

i have 2 66gph units in the top back corners of the tank, pointed straight to the front, and ihave a 145gph right smack in the middle of the back of the tank, high, and its pointed straight forward.

then there is the flow from the return from the sump, thats in the back top left corner of the tank, pointed to the right to cause the tank to turn in a clockwise motion if viewed from the top, and there is also the cansiter filter flow(that'll be going away very soon) and that's output is through a spray bar that ripples the surface of the water in the DT, from top right to top left...

ok here we go

3 mj 1200
2 k3
2 k4

i have the 3 mj's behind the rock work to keep things moving behind the rock
the 2 k3's are on the back wall one isin the middle of the tank and is facing the front glass the other is on the left side of the tank faceing the middle of the front glass
one k4 is on the right wall toward the back corner just a few inches from the corner facing the left front corner . the other k4 is in the middle of the left wall facing the back right corner. all the k power heads are just about 2 in from the surface of the water.

I have 4 K-4's and 1 K-2 in my 125.
2 K-4's are mounted on the side pointing at each other and 2 are on the back in the corner pointing towards the front center.
The K-2 is in the middle on the back glass pointing straight towards the front.

In my 55 I ended up doing one tunze 6025 and 1 K1. I have my rock in a long skinny island so the back and front are open swimming lanes. The tunze is in the bottom right corner in the back slightly pointing up. The K1 is on the front upper left corner pointing down so I get a circular flow. Plus I have some flow coming out of my 800S.

I hate powerheads, but I didn't know any better when I got into the hobby.

In my little 30g tank I have:
MJ1200 for the HOB refugium
MJ1200 with Hydor rotating attachment up high on the right side
Azoo 300GPH on bottom right side in the back - behind the rocks
No-Name 110GPH on the back glass - center of the tank - pointing at the front glass

1100GPH in a 30g tank +/-

well my tank is a corner tank so my configuration is different. I have a canister pushing 295 from the back corner straight to the front glass. I have a hob filter that I just use for flow pushing 330 hitting the flow from canister at a 45 degree angle towards the center from the left. I have two mjs in the rock on a wave maker that push water at a up ward angle to the surface at the middle of the tank. I also have a hob fuge that pushes 250 back towards the center of the tank from the right. I have a k nano that isnt pointed toward the center (the only one that isnt) it is deep in the tank Putting flow across the front glass from right to left. I figure my flow to be around 1245. Almost all of it crashes into one another giving variable flow patterns in the tank. Plus the mjs on the wave maker pulse at different angles so that changes flow patterns around. My tank is kinda like a diamond shape with the pointed end in the corner of the room. Oh and its a 48 gallon tank.

well my tank is a corner tank so my configuration is different. I have a canister pushing 295 from the back corner straight to the front glass. I have a hob filter that I just use for flow pushing 330 hitting the flow from canister at a 45 degree angle towards the center from the left. I have two mjs in the rock on a wave maker that push water at a up ward angle to the surface at the middle of the tank. I also have a hob fuge that pushes 250 back towards the center of the tank from the right. I have a k nano that isnt pointed toward the center (the only one that isnt) it is deep in the tank Putting flow across the front glass from right to left. I figure my flow to be around 1245. Almost all of it crashes into one another giving variable flow patterns in the tank. Plus the mjs on the wave maker pulse at different angles so that changes flow patterns around. My tank is kinda like a diamond shape with the pointed end in the corner of the room. Oh and its a 48 gallon tank.

WOW bet the fish have a good time with the flow in that tank

In my 125 I got 4 K4s.One on each end with one slanted toward the back glass the other slanted toward the fron glass.
2 more K4s hidden in the rock blowing more or less toward the ends.
Then 3 K3s hiddin in the rock aimed toward the center.

in my 210 I have 4 k3's two of them pointin from the back of the tank to the front. the other two pointing from the middle of the tank on each end towards the top to push out the heat from my lights:Cheers:

Back