How many powerheads do you have in your tank if any?

BriOnH

Reefing newb
I have one power head in my tank that provides a really nice current. Its placed on the left side of my tank. I have been thinking about adding another powerhead to the right side of my tank. How many power heads do you use if any and in what configuration? Do any of your corals like to hang out by the intake of it?

In my 30 I have 3 penguin 1140s I think and 1 powersweep,plus a seaclone 100 and an emperor 400 hob filter.
In my 55 I just have 2 maxi-jet 1200s then my coralife 65 SS and a cascade canister with no media.I tryed putting 4 of the maxi-jets in there but the sand wouldnt stay on the bottom.

One powerful head from the sump and one powerhead (not very strong). At the moment, I don't have a neeed for a higher water flow.. eventually when the resident count gets large I'll increase the powerhead size. I am still looking for a good deal on a HOB skimmer as well...

1 maxijet 900 on the right side pointed across the front, a cascade75 canister filter on the lef side pointed at the top of the water, and a coralife65 skimmer on the right. hoping to add one more power head soon

yote said:
In my 30 I have 3 penguin 1140s I think and 1 powersweep,plus a seaclone 100 and an emperor 400 hob filter.
In my 55 I just have 2 maxi-jet 1200s then my coralife 65 SS and a cascade canister with no media.I tryed putting 4 of the maxi-jets in there but the sand wouldnt stay on the bottom.

Is it possible to position the powerheads to skim over the debri that sometimes is left on top of the sand? I mix up the sand about every other day but then a day later the debri (debri = mainly a reddish algea right now and it seems the sand and what ever debri is on top 'burns') returns. Or would it just push all the sand as well? Either was I think it's time to put in another powerhead.

I don't think you need to sift your sand so much - sounds to me like it would possibly stress out the fish. You want your sand to come 'alive' to act as a natural filtration.

Yep I agree with Ad. If you have diatoms on the bottom, they're just going to come back after you stir it up. And if you have other detritus sitting on the sand, you need to get some cleaner crew to take care of it for you. You might want to consider a brittle or serpent star, they do an excellent job of keeping the substrate clean.

any type of sand sifter actually would be good they will keep the sand sifted for you which allows for better oxygenization as well as makes it harder for algae to form to the sand.

Adrastos said:
I don't think you need to sift your sand so much - sounds to me like it would possibly stress out the fish. You want your sand to come 'alive' to act as a natural filtration.

Actually shifting the sand is a good thing....releasing fauna into the water column and can be beneficial to corals.

If you set your powerheads just right,it can keep algae from forming to some degree,but its harder than it seems though.Some areas,where the flow is high on the sandbed my poor naussaris snails look like little tumble weeds.

You want just enough flow to keep ditritus in suspension,but if your not careful you'll end up the the sand in suspension too.
You'll want a good clean up crew to,that will help alot.Brittle stars,serpent stars,sand sifting stars,different types of snails,and maybe a few small hermits.I personally like the little gobys that like to sift the sand and spit it out their gills.

Sifting the sand naturally and manually are two different things reef.

I guess the proper question should be what process is being used to sift it manually.

i got enough flow that sand moves around lightly, its good to have enough flow you won't stress fish the ocean has high currents, yes inverts can move it around but its good to have good flow to move it a little also. i have 125 gallon with seio 2600(2600gph) and mj mod 1200 which has i little more power than seio and 2 mj powerhead for keep surface water mixed up.

I have tried brittle and serpant stars (one other type too) but my crab eats them :( . Awesome crab, not sure what type. He is red, and a giant compared to the other hermit crabs (who are brown). That crab does a great job of sifting along the edges of everything but won't clean in the middle. Any suggestions on that?

Back