how many powerheads?

Neno reefs

Reefing newb
How many powerheads do i need just for cycling the tank? Right now i have a 250GPH powerhead and i was wondering is that enough fo cycleing the tank? I will be buying another powerhead after the cycle but i wanted to go with this one to make sure i like this brand of powerhead before i buy another one.

(Also the tank is a 38g)

it should be ok, just watch your algae growth. it you start getting brown redish growth on you sand bed or whatever you are using. it means you do not have enough flow.

I always used Hydor Koralia powerheads, and I never had them die on me, after years of use. Mine lasted 5+ years, until I sold my tank. I think several years is a pretty good estimate of the lifespan of a powerhead.

I cleaned mine about once every two months, but that will vary depending on how much coralline and algae you have in your tank. If they get covered quickly, you will have to clean them more frequently. They are easy to clean. I'd just throw them in a bucket with a vinegar-water solution and let them soak for a few hours, then scrub them off with a heavy duty scrub brush.

Wow. I didn't think they'd last that long, I just don;t think mine (its the same you just mentioned) is working as it should or putting out as much flow as its supposed too.

I just cleaned them like a couple of weeks ago and I don't see any junk , algae or stuff inside them when viewing from outside the tank.. Hope we're putting back together right.

Back