How many sand sifting starfish for a 135...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
Just as the title states, How many sand sifting starfish to add to my 135... Also I pulled my filter sock and floss out of my sump because my nitrates were starting to rise... Anyone actually recommend socks for their tank...

In a new tank, none. They will starve to death very quickly in systems that aren't mature.

I can't remember, how long has your tank been set up? If it's been awhile, I would still only go with one.

I'm not fond of sand shifting sea stars.Everything I read says they will desecrate the sand bed of life.Without fauna like pods,worms which are beneficial in eating detritus and stirring the sand will leave it sterile.

Ok...I keep reading that they will completely eradicate the fauna in your sandbed... I don't want that... Basically I am looking for something that will clean the sand and eat leftover food and waste... My cleanup crew is not doing really what I want... They are keeping the glass clean though... I would like to add a tiger tail, but I cannot find any... What else would you recommend?

Nassarius snails, fo sho! Those are the best things for your sandbed.

Stay away from those damn sea cucumbers! A) they are toxic and will spew their guts when stressed, B) when they die, they will inevitably die in the sand where you will never find them, and they will slowly rot away and release toxins and nitrates into your water column, sending your nitrate levels up to 150 for about six months straight until the carcass is completely gone!

I used to have one. Can you tell?

I prefer nassarius,ceriths and queen conchs to keep the sand clean.

You can start with 10 large Tongan nassarius or 25 of the smaller version,2-4 queens,10 ceriths and see how it goes.You can add more later if needed.

I was looking for Nassarius snails but my LFS didnt have any, so I went with the sand star... If he starts to look hungry or not move a lot, I may remove him and take him back.. Only time will tell..

i bought sand sifting cucumbers from saltwaterfish.com, and thatpetplace.com both places has them for a couple of bucks.

I would avoid cucumbers. I think I said that already in another post somewhere recently. They will crash your entire tank if they die. Which is what happened to me. I had one die in my 55. Nitrates spiked to 150+ for several months. Bye bye tank.

OK, OK, OK...enough of bad mouthing sand starfish. Ctimpson, they are just fine to add to a tank that has been running 6 months or longer. They run around the sand, eating stuff, but they move SLOW SOOOO SLOW, it is almost painful to watch them move around in the sandbed they are so slow. I have three in my 125. My live sand seems to generate life all the time. I don't think anyone here has them nor has had them due to fear or just jumping on the bandwagon. If you want one, get one. Add one every three months til you have three. They do just fine.

-Doc

Just to let you know Doc,Julian Sprung in my FAMA magazine says to NEVER add a sand sifting star to a reef tank.They been saying this over and over again since 99' when I first subscribe.Other scientist and hobbyist mentioned it too.

I don't doubt that people are saying it. I have heard not to keep Pomacanthus angelfish in a reef tank as well, but I have been doing it easily for over a year. I have had sand stars in my tank for the entire time I have had a tank, with no problems. I respect you, your sources and experience a lot. I have learned a ton from here, I just have to speak my mind about MY own experience. There are no absolutes in this hobby, except, we will keep spending money to have our piece of the ocean in our homes. (cue triumphant music[/I]) :mrgreen:

-Doc

ouch, Biff. Dork? really? that was the best you could come up with? Please do me the honor of trying again. I was expecting at least troglodyte!!!

-Doc

SHHHHH! Don't share our little secret!!! You know how self-conscious I get about it...:bounce:

-Doc

Back