How many times a week do you have to go in to your tank?

How many times a week do you have to get your hands wet?

• 10 or greater

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • 8-9

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • 5-7

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • 3-5

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • 1-2

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Less then once a week.

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

BriOnH

Reefing newb
It seems almost everyday I have to get my hands in the tank. Which means I have to change into my shorts, take off my socks and blahblah. Maintaining a tank for me is a full time job!! While I strive for the perfect ecosystem; I am just not there yet.

How about you?

Usually twice a week.Once during water changes and the other usually from coral/fish purchase. I use a cleaning rod with different attachments(tongs,razor blade,scrubbers)and the oh trusty mag float.

I am always going in for something as well. Seems there is always something that needs to be done.

Mag floats are great but they don't fully replace going in with scouring pad. Also I have been warned on here not to get sand in between the magfloat as it can scratch the glass.

yep, i have several scratches in my glass from mine. thinking of switching to a scouring pad. i need more elbow grease on my glass anyway.

I spend about an hour every day faffing with my tank when I get home. Be it water change, tests, glass cleaning, puffing away with a turkey baster to clear something or other. Not to mention Filling the sea veggies clip or just having fun hand feeding something or other. :mrgreen: Happy days.

Then sit there like a couch potato, just watching!.

The next poll should be:
How many times a week do you hit the LFS and buy something you do not need at all and end up spending for the sake of it? That would be just as often as getting my hand wet for me :shock:

Our well worded moderator put it best - it's not good to be constantly going into to your tank. It has a strong possibility of creating unwated stress to your tank. Stress will affect both corals, fish and our bank accounts. Also - it increases the change of humans adding something nasty to the tank.

I try to go into my tank no more than twice a month. Other than when I recently had to remove rocks to clear out a few fish - I never even moved my live rock for years (the last time was when Amy and I moved into our house two years ago). If I do move anything - it might be or two rocks to put a new piece in - but for the most part.. my tank will go untouched for well over 1 year.

I will 1 or 2 times (in the summer I get a lot of natural light on the front..ick) a month clean only the front and one side of the glass. I have some good algae growing on the the back and sides - but it's nice to be able to see the fish. I usually wait until it's too much for the janitors to handle before I even think about going in.

I will start going in more frequently as we add more corals and some more rock.. but I try not to add things less than 1 month or more inbetween additions. It's tricky sometimes but I think for the overall health of the system.. it's good to do.

I agree that going into the tank as little as possible is best. BUT, I have a couple of corals that need to be spot-fed, and even with a turkey baster my hand gets wet. I usually just use a syringe without a needle, since it's more accurate and less food is wasted/left uneaten in the system. So...I'm not sure if I know another way than to to in at least twice, maybe three times a week.

I don't move my rock around or anything...I figure if it ain't broke...

I am interested to know what the people that go into their 10 times or more per week are actually doing... that's crazy!

I use farm grade exam gloves that go up to the shoulder. A box of 100 costs like 12 bucks at tractor supply store. Not a bad idea if your constantly diving in your tanks.

My porcupine puffer loves to be pet. Often I pet him from above the water where he meets air and I meet a little water. When I am in the tank he always brushes up against my arm and fingers. He loves it.

BriOnH said:
My porcupine puffer loves to be pet. Often I pet him from above the water where he meets air and I meet a little water. When I am in the tank he always brushes up against my arm and fingers. He loves it.
I would love to see that.

Back