How many watts of led do I need?

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Just realized that a guy I know that lives close to me that I got my sump and get frags off of told me way back that the had a couple led lights that I can buy off of him. He still has two of them. He says they are 120 watt led's that are 50/50 white blue "generics". Is the 120 watts enough to do well over a 40 gallon breeder reef? And what would you expect to pay for one? He's asking $100 for each or $150 for both.

I have one on my 65 but it is the dimmable version and everything seems to be doing fine. Search 120w LED on ebay and you can see the prices they are going for now. They have dropped in price since I bought mine.

it really depends on the optics being used on the LED's.. I run 120 watts over my 150 and have no issues with anything, and I have nems and primarilly SPS and LPS.. I see plenty of growth actually better then when I had t-5's over the tank..

Find out if they are royal blue and cool or warm white or neutral white, what brand of leds like xp cree diodes or bridgelux, watts per diode, the degree of optics as in the lens around the diode that direct its light and is it fan cooled and does it have any light controlling like sunset as such?
Know these things and you can make an informed decision!

Back