How much Evaporation?

Yea now I'm thinking I will definitely get an ATO with an in-wall tank if I ever upgrade to a 125. I couldn't imagine wheeling in that much water each day.

Yea now I'm thinking I will definitely get an ATO with an in-wall tank if I ever upgrade to a 125. I couldn't imagine wheeling in that much water each day.

yeah I hear you there my next tank build is a 75g that Biff helped me figure out what I really want to do with it. but i really want to do a 300g in wall build at some point of my life... maybe I'll do it as a 5 year plan hahaha... Save $75 a month for 5 years I can do it :D

Did you draw a water line in your sump? When i had my 45, I did not have an ATO. I did, however, have a piece of tape on the outside marking the ideal waterlevel for my sump. All my sitter had to do was fill it to the line. Never had problems :)

Another thing is that I premeasured the daily food. There was literally no chance of him accidentally overfeeding...unless he decided to be an ass and go through more pre-measured packets LOL I stored them in a pillbox. It was very easy and less daunting for the sitter (he was 12)

i have a question wouldn't a ton of evaporation be a good thing since you would be adding water all the time even though it would not be adding nutrients. You would still have to do SW changes though as well always wondered if evaporation in large quantities actually help if anyone knows that answer

Alot of evaporation means that the tank is staying cool. Kind of how when you sweet and a a breeze cools you off. If for some reason you closed off the tank by putting on a tight fitting top, all that heat would stay in and warm the tank up.

My 125 gallon with a sump only loses about a gallon and a half a day. The tank is in the cooler basement, which may explain why I don't lose that much. I use a tape line on my sump which makes it easy to always fill to the same amount each evening.

Back