How Much Is To Much????

TomCG

Reefing newb
I am looking into installing a MH light in my system. How much light is to much? I have a 46gal bowfront and I am looking at a 400w MH retro kit. I will build (metal or wood, fans included) the box for the light. But would like to know what everyone thinks is to much light.

Thanks in advance. Tom

Take this with a grain of salt, but I thiink its too much. Your tank isnt that deep or wide so I would go with the 250 mh. IMO that would be best. Just my :twocents: though. Im sure someone with more experience will waigh in here. What are you wanting to keep?

Ya but the 46 bow is only 36 in long and a m/h covers 2 feet, so if placed in the middle wouldnt it only leave 6 in oneach side, a good place for shrooms isnt it. Again I never had them so I dont know for sure, just making sure the 36 inch wasnt overlooked.

Squibly I still cant find heat packs over 8 hours, I called the lfs's and I dont know of any sporting good stores around here.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I will start drawing up plans for my new light system. I will take pics. and post them thru the build. I think at this time I'm looking at running 2 - 250w MH one on each side, and then run 13in CPs on the outside of those and I might run two in the middle. I will just have to look at the room in the hood. Again, Thank you. Tom

400 w is a lot. i used to keep a single 150 over my 36" tank and had some good growth. if you keep the light about a foot over the tank the light should cover the entire tank provided you have a good reflector. if you are only going to keep sps then i'd say go for the 250's but if you want to keep some of the lower light corals you will be hard pressed to keep them in a tank with this much light. FWIW i still have to keep some of my LPS under egg crate so they don't bleach. this under 150w MH. HTH.

Just one more item to think about. Don't forget heat issues. I don't think you can really ever go overbaord with lighting, but you do have to be carefull and not cook your livestock.

:mrgreen:

Back