How much is too much?

Nedim

Reefing newb
I've got a bit of a nitrate problem currently. I did some research and found this:

Emergency Nitrate Reduction
If your water tests above 40ppm you should perform a partial water change. If you remove and refill 50% of the water, you will have reduced the nitrate to 20ppm. Repeat the process at your nitrate levels will drop to around 10ppm. Nitrate levels above 100ppm should be considered an emergency! If the levels test above 100ppm then you should perform a series of major water changes as soon as possible. Reduce the water in your fish tank to 20%, using filtered tap water to refill to 100%. Assuming you began with a nitrate level of 100ppm, it has now been reduced to 20ppm. Remove and refill an additional 75% and you nitrate level will be down to 5ppm, considered good for even coral life.

Is a 50% water change too big of a water change? I would think that would start a mini-cycle, putting all the parameters put of whack. Any thoughts?

A 50% water change shouldnt cause any problems at all.You have to remember that the bacteria that keeps our tanks healthy doesnt live in the water,it lives on the surface of the rock ,glass,and in the sand.
Ive heard from different people that have great tanks,that say you dont have to worry untill your nitrates hit 40.I personaly have no idea whats too high,but I do my best to keep trates as low as possible.
How high are your nitrates?

I start to worry when I get to 20. But usually mine are around 5-10 anyway, since I don't use a skimmer, just weekly or bi-monthly water changes.

That's pretty high. First, I'd do some big water changes to get them down, preferably below 20. I'd also start trying to figure out why they are so high, overfeeding, overstocking, something dying off, insufficient filtration, etc.

I can't remember exactly the name, but I believe a produce called "Prime" can also be used with a big water change ( I only use RO water for my water changes) to reduce unbalanced parameters. I know it works for ammonia, but can't remember if it also does anything for trates. Wait, maybe I have a bottle.....(imagine rummaging noises in the background). Yup, I do have a bottle. It says it detoxifies nitrites and nitrates. Should work. I have used it before and it has not hurt corals. It is a Seachem product. I am a fan of using a 25% change once a week for two weeks and at the same time reducing feedings to once every three days (if your fish are healthy, they won't mind the reduction of food). Also, you have got to get a protein skimmer - they are just the best invention ever. Check to see if you lost livestock that would be decomposing and cross your fingers. Good Luck

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I have a protein skimmer. I have a 125g Super Skimmer on a 46g tank.lol For filtration, I have a magnum canister filter and a UV Sterilizer. I want to do a water change right now, how much water can I safely replace at once?

You should be okay doing up to 50%. If I were you, I'd probably do about 25% today, then another 25% tomorrow or the next day until you get the nitrates lower.

I would try 50 today and 25 till there down. Do you have a sump? If so you can try addind macro. You can reduce your nitrates as much as possable but it will just go back up unless you find the cause. How many fish and livestock is in the tank? Are you overfeeding?

I feed once a day. There are 6 fish in the tank and 2 inverts. Most of them are tiny though, so I don't think that its over stocked.

When was the last time you give your canister a good cleaning?Those things will cause high nitrates if they get the least bit dirty.
When you do your water change,replace the filter media.It really should be changed at least every other week any way.

Yeah I removed my canister filter when I was having nitrate problems and it made a big difference. And I was cleaning it weekly at the time too.

So whats a good filtration system to use thats easy to maintain? A sump is out of my means for now, I don't have the space or the time to build one.

You could also go with something like an Emperor 400.I took mine and put some rock ruble in it.That way you get some pods in there that will eat what gets caught.Or just change one cartridge a week.

I want something that will keep the water as clear as my canister filter does. I have an emperor that I can use. Could I use it to cultivate macro algae?

Back