How much light is enough?

akaatomic

Reefing newb
I am running 3 bulbs. A 10k and an actinic in one flourescent ballast and a 20k in a separate flourescent ballast. It was recommended to me in a different post that I upgrade my lighting. My question is, is this lighting setup enough to get colorful algae growing or will my rocks remain bare (tank started 2 months ago)? I'm willing to accept the fact that I can't keep corals. I can buy a nano tank to keep those. Will my fish only tank come into color with my current lighting?

Im not trying to put you off, but, you will find in the helpful articles several articles on lighting that will answer all your questions and also give you the basic building blocks to understanding lighting. once you understand the basics you will be able to make a decision on the correct way to go. hope this helps, but, if the articles do not do it for you, post back here and I will try to help. others may weigh in on your questions anyways. good luck and welcome to the forum.

I do agree please look at the article for some building block.You have provided tempatures of your lighting but not the wattage.What is the total? also are they VHO,power compacts,or standard flouresants?.The best option for that tank would be some metal halides for the best varity of coral.

Back