How much live rock/base rock/sand

jahdisp25

Reefing newb
Im going this weekend to buy supplies to set up my 29g tank....and was wondering how much live rock and base rock I should get?

I was going to get a total of 30 pounds? Is that enough or too much? And is it ok to get like 10 pounds of live and 20 pounds base?

Also I was going to get a 20 pound bag of sand or crushed coral and then just get a pound or two of live sand to sprinkle on top?

The pounds per live rock/base rock looks good, get sand... stay away from crushed coral.

I have a 29 and I have 35lbs of LR, and it's def. not too much. Infact, I may be buying some more here pretty soon. I check the LR at the LFS everytime I go, to see if they have any pieces I'd like.

you can definantly save money by buying base rock and dry sand. I wouldnt even buy any live sand. The Live rock would seed the sand also. You want to aim for about 1-2 pounds of LR per gallon in a tank. I am not sure how much rock I have in my 29 gallon but I would guess it is pretty close. Some of my base rock, you can barley tell the differance from the live rock.

Also, if you are going to get corals, alot of the soft corals come attached to LR so you add more by doing that.

Brian

Back