How much PhosGuard?

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I'm putting some PhosGuard in my phosphate reactor and the container says 1 cup for every 300 gallons. I only have a 46 gallon tank so that is 1/6th of a cup which doesn't even seem worth it. :-?

Really? What's not good about it?
I still have like 3/4 of the container left and would rather just use it up before buying new.
Can i just use more of it?

you can use it up but what makes it bad if im not mistaken is that it doesnt hold on to has much phosphate as the others do and its been known to leach it back out into the system if over exhausted

All phosphate reducers use either aluminum or iron. I would use them until phosphates are low then take the reactor out. In other words don't use them as a long term solution.

how much phosphate remover to use all depends on how much phosphate is in the tank in the 1st place whats ur readings?

I would suggest not using any phosphate removing chemicals. Seachem's aluminum oxide will add harmful aluminum to your tank and iron oxide products have been shown to drastically reduce carbonate hardness. The test tank I read about went from 16 to 11 dKH in 22 hours and eventually bottomed out at 7. This was using the recommended dose of phosban I believe. If you have to use phosphate removers I suggest using it for only a very short while and keeping a good eye on your alkalinity.

Back