How much sand for a 75 Gallon Tank

Tetra1

Reefing newb
I have 60 pounds of sand already for my 75 gallon tank. Should I get 20lbs more or what do you suggest. I am not sure if I want a deep sand bed or not? :twocents:

I would pour in what you have and see if you like the sand debt, if not, add more. There really isnt a hard and fast rule about sand bed depth. But i would suggest staying less than 2 inches for a normal sand bed, or 4-6 inches for deep sand bed

I'm trying to figure out the same thing as you for my 75 gallon. The only issue though is I have a bow front tank so in the middle my width is 18 inches and regular sides it's 13 so I'm not sure how much sand I should put... What is the difference for the having deep sand bed.. I was thinking like 3 inches or is that too deep?

You dont want to get deeper than 2 inches because deeper than that you trap too much junk and still dont set up the anoxic zone which is the point of deep sand beds. Personally, i think deep sand beds are ticking time bomb.

I'm trying to figure out the same thing as you for my 75 gallon. The only issue though is I have a bow front tank so in the middle my width is 18 inches and regular sides it's 13 so I'm not sure how much sand I should put... What is the difference for the having deep sand bed.. I was thinking like 3 inches or is that too deep?

What I did for my bowfront was keep the middle with a light dusting of sand, because someone told me not to put my live rock on it. They told me to place my live rock on bare bottom. This actually worked out well because then my sides and front were deep sand beds. My fish like to have the room as they pushed out the sand anyway for their caves. Hope this helps. :twocents:

What I did for my bowfront was keep the middle with a light dusting of sand, because someone told me not to put my live rock on it. They told me to place my live rock on bare bottom. This actually worked out well because then my sides and front were deep sand beds. My fish like to have the room as they pushed out the sand anyway for their caves. Hope this helps. :twocents:

That helps me out a lot thanks!

Back