How much to feed

Harleylay

Reefing newb
I have 2 clowns 1 blue tang 1 cardinal 2 starfish I just added 3 green chromis today.Just want to get some opinions on how many times a day to feed. I am new to the hobby,the guy I bought the setup from said he fed twice a day and something diff each time is that to much?

Most of us feed every other day. I have four different frozen options that I rotate. Only feed as much as the fish can eat in a few minutes time. The idea with saltwater fish is to deprive the system of nutrients. The more you feed the more will be broken down in the water the higher your levels will be. Feeding that much will lead to higher nitrates and phosphates in the water which in turn will feed nuisance algae.

I would feed the tang an algae sheet everyday. I would feed the rest of the tank like Ted said every other day. You will definitely enjoy your tank more by not feeding as regularly as you were
:D

When u say algae strip is seaweed the same thing? Also would one cube be enough for the fish I have? Does anyone know if I could add a yellow tang to my setup? Thanks for the info

There may be some initial disagreement between the Hippo Tang and the Yellow tang, but once a pecking order is established it will probably be fine.

You may want to consider a different tang, as you'll eventually have to re-home the hippo tang, a 90 is too small of a tank for it

Yes algae/seaweed sheets. Tangs love to graze and get most of their nutrients from from the algae/seaweed. They will eat meaty foods as well but prefer to graze. I would think one cube would suffice for your three fish but watch them feed and feed no more than they can eat in a few minutes.

Back