How much water should I change out weekly?

IDK,whats riskier ,not QTing new fish or using tap water,hmmmm....:sfish:
Plus like i said,if it aint broke..,,never once had an algae problem,or any problem that so many people are too quick to blame on tap water...,but no,i don't have super delicate corals either..coming up on 4 yrs(August) since i set -up my first SW tank with tap...plus,all tap isn't the same, i'm sure of that...I don't think all of us could get away with it,but i also don't think one should be put in front of the firing squad for using it:mrgreen:

You're right. But you have a fish only tank. Try keeping a reef tank using tap water. Good luck with that!

Hahaha Nemo, I feel the same

Here are a few no no's i do all the time

I have no QT tank
I use Tap water
I dont really acclimate my fish, inverts and corals for more than 30 minutes.

Other than that, I don't do much wrong :P
You badass you!! What your really doing is stressing the crap out of your livestock and not giving them the best possible living situation. The best part is you know this!! Congrats!! :Cheers:

I dont really agree with a few things completely, in my area, tap water is fine. It actually is, our science beaureau has determined that. I havent needed to QT which is lucky i guess and acclimating, im just overly impatient lol.. But everything is happy in my tank :D

You're right. But you have a fish only tank. Try keeping a reef tank using tap water. Good luck with that!
Never said i was going to attempt a reef tank with tap,nor did i suggest anyone should.I even said i don't have any delicate corals, to make that point.

Change out 20%-30% every two weeks. And PLEASE make sure that you pretreat your water before you put it in the tank. If you've got a marine tank, make sure you check the salinity levels, remove any copper and chlorine, etc.

I use the Python system. It hooks up to your sink faucet so you can regulate the temperature. On one setting, it sucks up debris and water, and switch it over and it refills the tank. Be sure to add a good dechlorinator to the tank while it’s refilling.
It takes me about 5 minutes to change 20 gallons out of my 65 gallon aquarium.
If you don’t have fish, stop changing the water. You need the ammonia to build up so it can cycle and your good bacteria can get a foothold. If you have no fish, just keep checking the ammonia level until you get a spike, then monitor the nitrite levels, when the ammonia and nitrite finally reach 0 and you have some level of nitrates, then you are ready to add your fish.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. You should not use tap water (even conditioned) for saltwater tanks. Components of tap water can be fatal to inverts, and the use of tap water often leads to algae problems.

Depends on the tap water, I tested mine for Copper and trates and there was 0 before treatments and after, the coral I have is growing perfectly fine and has for 7 months now.

Obviously not all areas have the same quality of tap water so thats a per user thing there, but I see no reason with the many people using tap water and having no issues at all to say its inherently bad because of where you get the water.

This hobby gets blown up a lot with things having to be exactly one way to be successful and creates a lot of unneeded spending and over exagerating things.

Last edited:
I have a 92 Gal. I change 15 gallons every week. Sometimes I change 10 gallons. I was actually thinking of changing the water every two weeks myself. But I have an A personality and I am a creature of habit . I don't think I can do it. :) I keep saying to myself, it's all about water quaity...

Back