How neccesary are Calcium reactors?

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
Well, everything for my setup is currently ordered and is in transit to the house. The one thing I haven't looked into much is calcium reactors. In a full reef setup, how neccesary are they? Is it something you need right away, or can it be added later? Are there any favorites among fellow Living Reefers?

Not necessary. Usually only used by people that have heavily stocked SPS-dominant tanks. Most people don't use them. For the majority of tanks, calcium can be taken care of either by regular water changes, or adding a supplement. If you find supplementation can't keep up with the calcium demands of your tank, then that is the time to look into adding one.

+3 Biff
I have one that I have never hooked up. I got it when I was ordering everything for my Zero Edge. I thought I would need it but my Calcium level stays just fine with water changes and an occasional supplement addition.

+ 1 Biff

Thanks for the info! Right now the plan is to keep primarily 'shrooms and Zoas which from what I can tell from reading are some of the easier corals to keep

I use Bulk Reef Supply 2 part solution for my alk and calc with BRS dosing pumps controlled by my Reef Keeper Lite.
Easy enough to regulate with regular testing and automatic enough to not be a hassle or run the risk of forgetting or getting lazy. And no need to deal with Co2 tanks.

+4 Biff
+1 d2mini
I make my own 2-part calcium/alk solution and I dose aprox 225 mL of each daily with a medical dosing pump.

Back