How Often do you clean?

Well, I had to clean the sump a few weeks ago cuz it sprung a leak, and I had to replace the tub :D Other than that, I've only had it up and running less than a year. I ended up doing a vinegar soak of my main pump since it was out anyway...and BOY does it run stronger now!

I clean the neck and empty my skimmer cup every week. I take the pump apart and clean that and the skimmer body about every 6 months.
I do 20g water changes every 2 weeks so 1 water change will come out of the display and the next 1 out of the sump (55g). Basically I suck the crap out of the sump once/month.

I clean the neck and empty my skimmer cup every week. I take the pump apart and clean that and the skimmer body about every 6 months.
I do 20g water changes every 2 weeks so 1 water change will come out of the display and the next 1 out of the sump (55g). Basically I suck the crap out of the sump once/month.

What do you use to suck out the sump with? Mine is on the floor, so using a standard vac that uses gravity to siphon is out of the question.

My sump and fuge are connected or frankensteined into an L shape by an overflow.

Sump - 10g glass (filter sock/skimmer)
It gets no light so there is no algae. Its pretty nasty with unidentified globs of I dont know what settled on the bottom. I have never cleaned the sump tank nor the main skimmer body. My skimmers main body needs to be cleaned so bad its almost out of control. I clean the skimmer cup and rotate out the filter sock every week or so.

Fuge 14g acrylic
Every 2-3 months I have to clean the plastic with a scrubber so I can see inside again. But the fuge is pretty nice looking since its covered in coraline and has a ton of stomatellas running around. The other snails and also hermits dont make it or eventually disapear down there. I wonder why I have a ton of coraline in the fuge but none in the sump.

Last edited:
What do you use to suck out the sump with? Mine is on the floor, so using a standard vac that uses gravity to siphon is out of the question.
My sump is in the basement on a counter top...sort of.
The tan container in front of the sump is the RO/DI container for the ATO and the 20g long is fresh saltwater. I just siphon the water out of the sump and pump the new water right back in.
ato4_5-09.jpg

A hose attached to a powerhead.

I never cleaned out my sump.I would end up sucking up all the thousands of feather duster worms living down there.I do clean the neck of the skimmer once a month and rinse off the sponge filter.

My sump is in the basement on a counter top...sort of.
The tan container in front of the sump is the RO/DI container for the ATO and the 20g long is fresh saltwater. I just siphon the water out of the sump and pump the new water right back in.
ato4_5-09.jpg

Damn, I gotta get me one of those. Very nice set up Larry. I wish there were more basements out her in Calif. It certainly looks like it is very user friendly as far as up-keep and cleaning wise.

Back