How often or if ever

Im still new, i think ;)

Just wondering how many of you have your reef glued together or drilled and piped together, and who is free standing. I chose to go free standing and have a strong base and struture all around. Granted its really tough to establish but once u get the hang of it, it becomes fun to change stuff. I recently had an issue with a pep shrimp. God bless his soul he is no longer with us but i had to take apart my reef to get him. Now i have a new look.....wish i had a pic for u but i dont....but this is prolly the hmmm 4th big time change ive changed my rocks around in almost 11 months. is that alot? Is my ADD to much. I change my living room around at least 3 times a year, if i have the means to do so.(not moving the tank lol) *Sigh*

My rocks aren't glued together, but most of my frags and corals are glued to the rocks. I don't think I'll ever glue my rocks because like you mentioned, there will always be a reason to remove them or change them around(I've done this dozens of times :) ).

I dont glue mine. Once mine were set up in October 2 years ago I have not touched/changed them. My goby and shrimp are under them and I dont want to disturb that and I like the way they are, but they are not glued if needed to be changed.

I almost glued my at first because I wanted a watchman goby and everyone say he would cause an avalanche but I just finally got my rocks situated in a way that they just really fit firmly like a puzzle and nothing moved easily when I touch it.

I had mine awesome looking at first but it wasnt stable so I redid it. I like it though and I like being able to have options to add or change it.

I don't glue mine either. I like having the freedom to move them when I see a problem with flow or just want to change the look. I did put an acrylic base in under the rocks to keep them off the sand bed and love it! I have an engineer goby who is always "redecorating" so I don't ever worry about the stability of the base structure. It also helps with detritus under the rocks. The pics are from last year and the acrylic rods have since been covered by coralline so they are not as visible. Here's a few shots:
UNI_0213.jpg

UNI_0208.jpg

UNI_0193.jpg

UNI_0192.jpg

UNI_0191.jpg

I don't glue, but I did consider doing what biff and lilfish do -- zip tie rocks or drill holes and put pvc to hold them together. I do like the flexibility of rearranging rocks (I've been known to rearrange my house's furniture twice a year...the rocks are no exception LOL )

I also am of the free stacking variety. What's better is that I don't even have to redecorate them, my hermit does it for me :lol:

I had what I thought was a real solid formation but my hermit came through, showed me where the trouble areas were and fixed them for me; then I moved about a month ago and thus far he has aprroved of my most recent stacking.

:mrgreen:

I didn't glue anything. Thought about gluing my frags down but they get moved around too. Once I get them set where I want them ill prob glue the frags.

Back