How often should I change my substrate and how much at a time?

mach1ray

Reefing newb
I've had my substrate in my tank for years now. Never changed it but have added small portions at a time due to syphoning during water changes.

I've read on another forum of a guy that changes 20% of his sand every 6 to 8 weeks as a way of reducing phosphate. He uses dry sand as phosphate is minimal to non exisant in it.

On saying this, I didnt know I was supposed to replace my substrate. How often am I supposed to change my sand and how much at a time? Take in mind I have approximately 100 lbs of rock in the tank.

i thought once you put it in you should not disturb it, let alone change it. if you change it wont it be taking the beneficial part of it.....someone help me out here this dude just confused me more lol..

I wouldn't change it. Especially if you are not having problems. I have never changed the substrate in any of my tanks as part of routine maintenance. If you disturb too much of it, or if it's particularly dirty, you risk kicking off a mini cycle.

I think the problem with his idea is that the phosphate is coming from SOMEWHERE. The sand is not the source of the phosphate, and by changing out the sand periodically, he is not addressing the root cause of the problem -- where the phosphate is coming from in the first place. It would be better if he would find out why he has high phosphate and eliminate it going into his tank in the first place.

Good catch Sarah. He said due to the livestock he has to feed more frequently. He made it sound as though we should be swapping out our substrate every now and then.

I don't even think heavily stocked tanks, like a few of our members have, require substrate changes. I think Biff got it with saying finding the cause of the problem would be best.

Good catch Sarah. He said due to the livestock he has to feed more frequently. He made it sound as though we should be swapping out our substrate every now and then.

Yeah, that would do it. I still think it would be easier to run a phosphate reactor than switching out sand, though! :)

I stir my sandbed weekly but I don't know why I'd bother changing it. The only reason I'd change it is if I did a tank change or I decided to go with black substrate.

Back