How often should I test my water quality?

BriOnH

Reefing newb
When i had a fish only tank I would rarely test, because everytime I did it was perfect. The only thing I test on a very consistant basis is salinity.

The way my tank is set, I just let water evaporate out of the tank and when it gets to be about 3 inches below the top waterline I fill it with fresh water and some ammonia detox. This has worked incredibly well for over 3 years for me with fish only. Do you think I can continue to do this with a reef aquarium. So far (out 4 weeks) it's working well.

When do you test nitrates, ammonia, etc?

I only test amonia and nitrites when I'm going through a cycle or think somethings wrong. I think your supposed to test monthly for amonia and nitrites, and test weekly for ph, and nitrates, and test daily for salinity.

I don't test daily for salinity, I have a line drawn on my sump with a Sharpie and I just top off to that line every day. I use a dipstick test weekly and if anything looks unusual I use a "real" test. But lately I've been testing nitrates and phosphates twice a week too...

Biff - with the dipsticks do you just dip them in your tank and compare them to a chart? That sounds pretty handy to have just for quick checkups. Happen to have the name of them?

Thank you jhnrb - great thread!

I usually test ammo.,nitrite,nitrate, specific gravity,phosphate,ph,calcium,and alk. every week. But thats just me,guess im paranoid

Back