How often should I top off?

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
Sorry for all the questions lately. Keeping a 10g is going to be a challenge but I'm up for it. My question is how often should I top off to keep my salinity stable. Is there anyone here who has expirience with a 10g?

I would recommend daily unless you have a closed top system and then maybe every 2-3 days. Salinity can have major swings in such a small water volume so keeping the water level constant is always a worry. I would definitely check it daily unless you have some kind of ATO system.

They may be pricey but ATO are worth their weight in GOLD. They will help keep your salinity stable and really help when using a skimmer to keep the water level correct. Otherwise yea, daily. I was at Target the other day and saw this water jug that has a filter in it that is suppose to deliver 0TDS water. Not sure if it works or not but they give you a TDS meter with the bottle and it was only 30 bucks. Maybe something to look into. Keep that next to your tank and just add some water every day.

I add in the morning and night with my 5.5. Its not really that hard, I just do it when I take a look and make sure everything is doing good.

Last edited:
They may be pricey but ATO are worth their weight in GOLD. They will help keep your salinity stable and really help when using a skimmer to keep the water level correct. Otherwise yea, daily. I was at Target the other day and saw this water jug that has a filter in it that is suppose to deliver 0TDS water. Not sure if it works or not but they give you a TDS meter with the bottle and it was only 30 bucks. Maybe something to look into. Keep that next to your tank and just add some water every day.

These filters only last for about 30 gallons or so, not very good for our tanks

I've been checking the water every few days and topping off every few days. I'll start checking the water every other day and see how that goes. Thanks everyone.

How am I sopposed to know how much to top off each day? It's only gone from 1.025 to 1.026 and that was after a few days.

on my 10g i have one of those stick on thermometers (don't use it anymore but can't get it off) and i use that as my line to tell where my water should be at (like little fish said, i would draw a line with a marker or something). i try to top off every day but once in a while i skip a day and i've never had any problems.

Back