Votes: 9 22.5%
  • 39-45

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • 46-50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50 and over

Votes: 2 5.0%

• Total voters
I work for a consulting company, doing environmental consulting part time. I also teach Environmental Science part time at the university. In the summers, I get paid to do research at the university too. The rest of the time, I'm a full time PhD student. So I guess I have 3 part time jobs and one full time chore.

I am 33, been into the hobby for little ver a year. A friend turned me on to the saltwater. I have freshwater also but not that interesting. I have been in the automotive business for 14 years.

there was a big thread that died down about what we all did a while back. ill see if I can find it and bump it. biff and I were almost emberassed we were almost the only 2 ppl that weren't in some kind of jobsite/construction/blue collat style job :) ok not really emberassed cuz I love my job. ill see if I can find it.

I'm a manager at the phone company. I mainly do IT work for windows based servers that support employees in my area.

I'm kinda like RyanG in that I have a 150 gal tank that I'm buying stuff piece by piece as it fits into my budget. I'm just about finished building my stand now :) My goal is to have some life in it by Aug./Sept

I don't have a job, but I go to school full time, so I guess that's my job. I get all my equipment from money that my parents give to me. It can be hard to explain to them why I need expensive things for my tank, they don't think its a waste, they think its good I have a hobby. They have been pretty supportive of my hobby and think its cool that I'm so into something, but they do wonder what I spend the money they give me on.

H&S 200-1260, $1000
GEO 624 calcium reactor, $430
Lee-Mar starphire 110, $950
Tunze 2x6100 with 7095 and magents, $850
AC Jr with DC8, $250
Halides with T5's, $700
Regulator and CO2 bottle, $230
pH monitor, $80
Eheim 1262, $130
Sump, stand, canopy, $375
Sand, live rock, fish, coral, $800

So thats about $5500 worth of fish stuff not to mention all the other stuff that you need like media, food little things like that. I have been fortunate enough to not have them think this is a waste, so they pay for it. If I had to pay for this stuff myself I could never afford it.

after looking at everyones ages and tank descriptions, im starting to wonder what kind of jobs we all have. You dont have to tell me, but i would like to know. i currently have two jobs, burlington coat factory and steve&berry's. But even with both of these im still wondering if im going to be able to sustain a reef. But im a optimistic dude so im going to try anyway.:mrgreen:

Network Admin (routers, firewalls. network security, servers (Windows and GNU/Linux), etc). Decent living, however with four kids and a "stay at home" wife, it is slow going.

Last edited:
i bumped the job thread in offtopic if you guys are interested in adding in your professions there to keep it organized and have everyone all in one thread.... just an idea

Heavy just be aware that McCrarys stuff is all best of the best stuff. You can do it MUCH cheaper than that.

26 years old.But i will never grow up,ill always be a child at heart!!!!!Im a cutter for a filter bag company.Basicly we make every type of filter for environmental reasons.Mostly Factories with clean rooms. Pharmaceutical plants, power plants, cement plants.I think the most expensive part of this great hobby is the actual beginning. Setting up the tank.Then the cost does come down.

Project Manangement- Construction

This hobby can be expensive but worth it. You just have to have patience. I never figured that out when i first got in this hobby and wasted tons of money. Now after 5 years i now have my second big tank in the works and i think it will be the first tank with nice equiptment that i can enjoy but i will have to wait quite a while to see it done.

26 years old.But i will never grow up,ill always be a child at heart!!!!!Im a cutter for a filter bag company.Basicly we make every type of filter for environmental reasons.Mostly Factories with clean rooms. Pharmaceutical plants, power plants, cement plants.I think the most expensive part of this great hobby is the actual beginning. Setting up the tank.Then the cost does come down.
:bounce:Now if you made Millipores (or equivalent) air filters for airlines we would really have something to talk about. They wnat over $10 dollars each for a filterto exclude bacterai through an air inlet tubing of 3/16" to 1/4". They greatly help to prevent crashes in Phytoplankton cultures, butthir cost is rediculous.

I am 32, will be 33 on June 23 this month :grumble: I don't wanna grow up, Ima toys-r-us kid.

I work both in the IT world and run/own a horse boarding/training business.

Back