How should I add more Live Rock with fish in my tank ?

roberttroy81

Ocean Fanatic
Everyone suggests adding another 30lbs of live rock to my tank!!!But how should i do that with fish and three corals already in the tank?Doesn't it have to cure and cycle?I really want to add more LR and start a 10g nano. I'm very worried of doing something wrong.

in a tank your size i would only add 1 piece at a time, wait a couple of weeks and add another piece. take it slow and you should be ok this way.

most local fish stores have cured live rock already in tanks, if there are any fish stores near you that carry some. Just add it to your tank, but if you buy from online and get it shipped to you than you should set up a plastic tote or another aquarium to cure live rock in.

Agree with the above. If it's cured buy a small amount and add it to your tank. I just added another piece to my tank. If uncured put in totes with powerhead and cure it. If unsure what it is just smell it. Uncured smells really bad.

even if it's cured expect a small algae bloom. that's happened to me every time I think that I need that one more piece of rock to look right. maybe even a few diatoms.

Unless you keep the rock submerged from stote to tank,you'll have at least a tiny bit of die off.
So as long as you can keep it underwater store to tank,then you should be OK.

Back