How soon to check salinity?

HeyRobi

Reefing newb
How soon after setting up a new salt water tank can I check the salinity? I have a 33 gallon tank and added 16.5 cups of salt (from pet store) I want to add the bio-spira but the hydrometer is below 1.012 in fact it looks like is resting on the bottom.

Do you have something in the water to mix it up? You should have a couple powerheads running to mix it. It can take newly made saltwater 24 to 48 hours to mix. Give it a day or so, and then measure the salinity.

I am running a fluval 205 canister. So basically I waisted 20 bucks on bio-spiro. They had told me I would be up and running in 24 hours.

You should get a powerhead or two to keep the salt suspended in the water until it dissolves. Or else it will just settle on the bottom.

I just stirred it up real good and pulled water from the bottom and now it registers but still real low. I will continue stirring it and checking it. I was hoping to have fishes by tommorow but I guess I will be waititng to next weekend!

Uh oh. Please don't put fish into an uncycled tank! That's a death sentence for them.

You will need to have live rock if you want a successful reef tank. 1 to 2 lbs per gallon is ideal, so for your tank, shoot for 30 to 60 lbs of live rock. If you buy uncured live rock, you can cycle your tank using the rock, and you won't kill any fish in the process.

Another option is to cycle the tank using a piece of uncooked shrimp from the grocery store. Just put a piece of shrimp in the tank and let it rot.

I'm assuming you already have sand in the tank??

Again, PLEASE don't waste your money on fish right now. You will just end up killing them.

Thanks bjohanson1234 I will start reading.

Hey Bifferwine thanks for all your help. I do have live sand in the tank but nothing else. I will probably learn this after reading what bjohanson suggested but do I have to have live rock? and if the answer is yes will I need special lighting? I am going to get live rock regardless but just curious!

Live Rock(LR) adds a ton on biological filtration to your entire system. It and live sand(LS) are to of the biggest part of a reef tank, or even a fish only with live rock (FOWLR)
Also it gives your fish a place to hide,play, and live..
It also gives your tank decoration, but most importantly is the biological part it serves- 1-2 pounds per gallon is what you should shoot for...

You don't need special lighting to have live rock. But you will need special lighting before you can get any corals, anemones or clams. So hold off on those for a while.

It's best to get all your live rock before you add any animals, because adding live rock to a tank will usually start a new cycle. And if you start a cycle while you have fish in the tank, you risk killing them.

Don't be in a rish to buy fish right now. This is a slow hobby. Patience is rewarded. Being impatient will only cost you money and cause you misery.

Remember this:
The only thing that happens fast in a reef tank.............. is a crash.

Get a test kit.
Get the water mixed up.
Be patient.
Get rid of the canister filter--it's just about worthless in a SW reef tank, unless you plan to clean it everyday. I'm assuming your local fish store (LFS) sold it to you. They just hosed you out of some hard earned cash, because canisters aren't worth the plastic they are made of.
Get a refugium. Thats the best type of filter on a reef. REFUGIUM is your friend.
Be patient.
Read about the nitrogen (nitrification) process and understand it. You can't do a thing with that tank until the ammonia and nitrites are ZERO.
You want about 4 watts of light per gallon of water. Thats a minimum amount. You can go as high as 6w or 8w per gallon, but be prepared to spend big bucks on lights like that.
Be patient.
Stock the tank S L O W L Y after you get it cycled.
Read up on the types of fish and inverts you want. Make sure they are compatable before you plunk down your money. It sucks to bring home a new fish and have it turn into a $60 snack for a different fish thats already in the tank.

Did I mention? -- Be Patient

Welcome to Living Reefs. :Cheers:

Instead of a canister filter, I would get a protein skimmer. In a reef tank, if all you have is a good protein skimmer and lots of live rock, you'll be set for filtration. Don't get a SeaClone or Red Sea Prizm skimmer. They are pieces of junk. The best, and cheapest brands, are Aqua C, Octopus, and Coralife. Look into getting one of those. Because RC is right about the canister filters -- they will lead to water quality problems unless you clean them religiously, and very few of us have enough time to do that (except for Yote and Adrastos :)).

The tank was a freshwater tank this morning and I basically drained and refilled and added salt and live sand! So I will ditch the canister and go with a protein skimmer. I would use a REFUGIUM but I have a corner tank so I have very limited space underneath the tank. If you were going to buy a protien skimmer for this size tank what ezact model would you suggest, and I will order it tonight. Or if you have another filter suggestion I am all ears. I will be adding live rock before I get fish.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. You shouldn't use the same filtration for freshwater as saltwater. They need different types of bacteria to function.

You don't NEED a refugium right off the bat. This is something you can think about adding later on if you decide you want one. You can have a successful tank without one. But it's hard to find a successful tank without a skimmer. I think, along with lights, the skimmer is the most important piece of equipment you can have.

Which skimmer are you thinking of buying?

I have no clue! The young lady today at the pet store made us think it was a pretty easy conversion. I am now realizing now I need to start my homework. If you suggest a paticular model skimmer I would be very greatful.

What is a refugium?
Refugiums Benefit Aquatic Systems

You should be able to use a HOB (hang on back) refugium, or get a small refugium for under the stand.

Here are a few links to some different refugiums:
This has a built in protein skimmer. It's the one I use. It works AWESOME on my 30g tank.
CPR AQUATIC, INC - AQUAFUGE ™ PS

This is what I started out with, but it doesn't have a built in skimmer. It works great, but you'll have to buy a seperate skimmer. A good skimmer is probably going to run you at least $50--$75. Why not spend that on the first refugium I listed?
CPR AQUATIC, INC - AQUAFUGE ™

More refugiums. I can't comment on the quality. Maybe somebody else has used one?
Aquarium Filters FREE SHIPPING!

You can also build your own refugium with a 10g, 15g or 20g tank. Look at this page for detailed pics and instructions on building your own refugium
Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

Sounds to me like your LFS either doesn't know what the hell they are talking about--or they are just screwing you out of money. Either way--don't go back and spend anymore money until you know what your after.

We'll help you. Just ask questions here and study up on what you want before you go back and spend money.

One of the BIGGEST mistakes that most of us make, as a newb, is buying equipment that is either not necessary, or not adequate for what we are doing. We buy a little bit cheaper light, and it doesn't quite work as we'd like, so we end up spending even more money to buy the right one. Same with skimmers and refugiums. We buy the cheaper one to try and save $50, but in the end, it just bites you in the ass. You end up spending twice as much money by the time you buy the right piece of equipment. I'm not preaching here--I'm not only the president of the "I bought it cheap club" I'm also a client. :mrgreen: I've spent an additional $500 on my lights and refugium to get what works because I bought what was good enough to "get by" in the beginning.

I know it's tempting, and it's fun to spend money. But, do some homework before you buy anymore stuff.

You need a skimmer. We all know that. But, do you want a skimmer that hangs on the tank? (HOB skimmer) Or do you want a skimmer that fits in the tank? (In-tank skimmer) Maybe you want that refugium with the built in skimmer? Figure out how you want to set it up first.

And stay away from that LFS. They aren't doing you any favors. All they are good for is fish and invertebrates. And you're not even ready for that stuff yet. You can buy all your equipment online for cheaper than retail at a store.

Ok thanks for the advice and help. They actaully did not cost me any money yet since I aready had all my equipment minus salt and live sand. But they did say thats all I needed! Ok on the filter, My tank is in the the corner of my dining room (Its a corner tank) I would like to have everything hidden and out of site.

If you want to have all the equipment hidden, you will need to add a sump to the tank. Does your tank have holes drilled in the bottom of it?

If no, you will need to purchase an overflow box, build a sump, and buy a return pump to pump the water back to the tank. Lots of planning goes into adding a sump. Unless you are willing to wait to do that, you will have to put your equipment hanging off the back of the tank where it's visible.

Back