How to catch my royal dottyback????

Sxybeemr325

Reefing newb
Hello!! Nice to still all see you on here! Great tank photos!! I sucessfully moved my tank to our new house at the end of November in freezing cold weather. Let me say that that was a challenge! Fortunately, everything made it alive. I will try and post some new pix of the tank.

Here I am again in need of advice! I had purchased a royal dottyback about a year ago. Worst mistake ever! I came to the conclusion that I found my sixline dried on the carpet because my evildottyback would constantly chase it and attack it. I had purchased 2 peppermint shrimps about 2 weeks ago and never seen them again, made some research on the net and found that dottybacks may eat shrimps! I got another sixline from my lfs on sunday and my dottyback is again constantly chasing it. I tryed to catch the dottyback with the net but it is impossible because of all the rocks in the tank, he just escapes from everywhere. I just want to get rid of it. But how can I catch it? Is there Any other method then using a net....?

+1 James
Of course you can make a trap too.But the trout fly is probablt the easiest and quickest method.

get a coke bottle.

cut the top halfish off and put it on backwards and put food in it and let him go in it. Tie something around it so you can get it out of the water when he goes in it...

+1 for fishing.

Messiah 023! Yes I agree! This fish is EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, a small evil bastard. To be honest, I was almost thinking about flushing the damn thing down the toilet after I catch it. I feel bad about brigning it back to the LFS for whoever will buy it next! believe me, I am an animal lover and would never want to harm any of my fish, but this one!

Thank you for all the advice! What about the small fishhook method? Will this kill the fish? Will the fish really bite on it??

As long as your using a barbless hook,it wont hurt the fish.Just get a fly that looks like his favorite food.

Lmao.. I tried everything.... From fishing it with a trout fly, to trying putting some prime reef diet in a net, to fishing it with a net! This fish deserve the flush down the toilet treatment if I catch it!!!

I wanted to remove my yellow tang, and tried the barbless hook trick, didn't set the hook on the first shot, and felt so bad that I never tried it again. I felt the hook hit, but not dig in. I still apologize to her every night.

Had the same problem. Built the plastic 1 liter coke bottle trap, the dottyback swam in and wriggled out the moment I grabbed the trap. I had to take out all rock and even then he hid in a pocket of water in a big piece of LR and was able to sneak into the bucket! I haven't tried this but suggest you fill the tank with half dozen plastic traps all baited with live food. It sounds crazy but its easier than taking all the rock out!

You also might try a 2 liter coke bottle with a double baffle.

Back