How to choose a protein skimmer?

JAnderson1

Reefing newb
Hello,

I would like some tips on how to pick my first protein skimmer. I have a 46gal bow front and I am building a 20gal long sump to house the skimmer. Are their general rules of thumb to follow when choosing a skimmer? For instance does the $50-100 skimmer run just a good as the $300-400 skimmer? Does brand really make a difference? (Obviously I'm broke! Anyone want to donate an old skimmer? Haha)
But really what am I supposed to look for? I plan on having some difference types of coral and about 4-5 fish plus clean up crew. Please let me know your thoughts thanks!

Justin

Don't look at anything less than $200 when it comes to a skimmer you get what you pay for.
I'm running a ReefOctopus and love it. It's better to have a skimmer that's rated for a larger tank and turn it down than to get one that's rated for the size of your tank.

Thanks Aquarians. So when I get on rated for bigger then my tank is that total water volume (display tank + sump) or just display tank?

I too am really liking my new Reef Octopus. I am running a 90g display with a 30g sump. I figure I am running about 90-100g volume after displacement. My skimmer is rated up to 200g. It doesn't have to be twice as much but if you plan on stocking heavy I would recommend getting close to double your volume.

I also have a reef octopus. They say per company, that you only account for the display. I think that is a bunch of crap and got the biggest one that fit in to that area of the sump. Sps, if your planning for it, loves lower nutrient systems.

+1 on the overrating the skimmer for your tank. In most cases you do get what you pay for with skimmers. Get the best you can afford. I am running a SWC 160 on a 70 gallon.

I'm quite displeased with the Coralife what the hell ever it is I have on the 57. I spend EVERY weekend unclogging the venturi. I still have a 2ft Sanders in the basement, gonna throw that on there because it's a pain in the ass moving the fuge to get the damn thing out. :mad:

There's some mods for the coralife out there to fix some of the issues with it. A google search should bring them up.

There's some mods for the coralife out there to fix some of the issues with it. A google search should bring them up.
Too late, the limewood airstones came in so to hell with that thing, lol. I will go with what I know and I know air driven skimmers. Venturis were still in their infancy when I last had a reef tank. This thing's already pulling goop out of the tank. I found another 1200mm Sanders for $25 and picked it up of Craigslist.

Back