How to do a Water Change

reefnoob

Reefing newb
I used to vaccuum the gravel but I realize this could be sucking up the organisms living in it. So how would I change the water? Would I just scoop some water out randomly and then dump water back in?

When i do a water change i usually just clean the glas before i suck any water out. if you like you can slightly go over your substrate to pick up anything you see that should not be there.

What kind of substrate are u using ???

Your clean up crew should mostly take care of the sand for you. If you have a deep substrate then its inportant not to disturb it and just let your CUC take care of it. Keep in my a gooc CUC ( Clean up Crew ) Is Key.

So just suck bad water out and slowly pore in new water and try not to disturb anything.

Me personally i like to use a turky baster and blast my rocks a bit while im using my syphon house to suck all that nasty stuff out. I turn all my power heads off and pumps that way it does not go everywhere and i have a chance to suck it out of the tank.

I used to vaccuum the gravel but I realize this could be sucking up the organisms living in it. So how would I change the water? Would I just scoop some water out randomly and then dump water back in?

Do you have actual gravel in your tank? Or some other substrate? Sand is your best best.

(And I siphon water out (focusing around my rocks) and then slowly pour it back in.)

In that case you should let your clean up crew tend to the sand for you. Nassarius snails do a fabulous job keeping the sand stirred up.

I ordered about 40 nassarius snails from liveaquaria and they were TINY. Like 1/4-1/2 of a centimeter. Those were the regular kinds. Should I order the super tongan nassarius snails next time instead?

Actually there is a possibility that I have very small gravel. Like not the huge kinds, but its like really tiny rocks and stuff. Not sure if this is still sand. But a watchman goby can still sift it though right?

Back