How to get rid of aiptasia?

Sxybeemr325

Reefing newb
Does anyone know any good tricks to get rid of aiptasia? Ive had some in my tank for the longest time. I quit on joe's juice after buying industrial quantities of it.... it always comes back... Ive been busy lately and kind of let it go... and its a mess now... what to do.. other then joe's juice?.....:frustrat::grumble: Ill be rearranging all of my rocks/aquascape this week end as well.....

But I have a boxer shrimp in there.... Can the boxer shrimp and peppermint shrimps get along? The aiptasia are large and there is a lot...I mean, it's really bad now.... I doubt that 6 shrimps would do Biff.... Really, could it?

I also have some sort or tube thing on my rocks... You can only see it from up close. It s like a mini feather duster but with no "duster", just little white tubes all over my rocks.... Any clue on what it could be?

Look very closely on the white tubes you are talking about, they are feather dusters usually but the "feathers" are just very transparent, otherwise they are the worms that release the spider webs

I would also go with peppermints. I also like to use a product called aptasia x. safe for corals. kills them for good. also works well on majanos.... for me anyway....

The copperband is a very hard fish to keep long term. I have learned my lesson with them. They should only be kept with very peaceful fish that will not compete for the same foods. If you decide to get one, I have heard the ones from Australia are a lot hardier.

If you can get the rock out of the tank and it's not completely covered in aiptasia - cut the little bastards off with a sharp razor knife. Slice and scrape the foot off as best you can. Then use a cordless drill and a masonry bit to drill a hole right down into the rock where the foot was attached. Drill down about 3/4" and then flush the whole thing in hot tap water. Tip it up so the water drains out of the hole. Fill it with super glue.

This only works if you have 1 or 2 aips here and there. If the rock is covered in aips - you should probably do as the others have suggested and try to get a fish or invert to eat them.

Thank you for all the great suggestions! Unfortunately, drilling or lemon juice are not sn option as there is a lot of aiptasia. I think the pepermint shrimps are my best way out is this... Im wondering if my coral banded shrimp and the pepermint shrimps will be ok together? Should I remove my coral banded shrimp from my tank before I add the pepermint shrimps? I was thinking on adding 6-8 Pepermint shrimps...

And this is what I currently have in my tank, will any of this be a predator to the pepermint shrimps? I'll remove some of it next Saturday:
- 1 naso tang
- 1 yellow tang
- 1 one spot foxface
- 1 blue dragonet
- 2 clowns
- 1 coral banded shrimp(unsure if it should be removed from my tank if I add some peppermint shrimps??)
- 1 lunar wrasse(will be removed from my tank next sat)
- 1 green serpent star(will be removed from my tank next sat)
- 2 conch snails.
- other snails... Nassarius, turbo....

Should anything else go? Is anything in there not reef safe other then the star and lunar wrasse?

I made some research online and I guess I'll have to remove my coral banded shrimp :sniffles:as well next Saturday. I'll then add 6-8 peppermint shrimps. Maybe I'll try the aiptasia x as well! :mrgreen: that will be a nice " clean up" in my tank. Can't wait til it's done! + I just added a second remora pro with mag 3 pump( I bought it used for $90! In perfect condition! )! All of my rocks will get rearranged. I'll post photos of the updated tank once it's all done! Thanks for the help!

I recommend Aiptasia X, also. Get the bigger refill bottles if you have a lot of them. Treat them completely. Every one of them. Wait a week and do it again. Then repeat every week til they're gone. It may take several treatments, but finally you will succeed.

kalkwasser will kill them for sure just be careful not to overdose .kalkwasser has a very high Ph of around 12 so again don't overdose.

Take about 1/4 tsp mix with just enough water to make a thick paste then stick it in a syringe and squirt directly on the aiptasia it don't take much, with in one hour death for sure.Only kill 2-4 at a time each day so you don't risk a Ph spike.Ive been using this mix for years now and never had any problems.

Back