How to get rid of this

R3verb

Time to add some coral!
This is the goopy redish brown algae that none of my snails like to eat. Any suggestions to a snail that will eat this or should I just scrape it off? Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_2923.jpg
    IMG_2923.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 331
Do you have any turbo snails? They are known to eat it, but in the meantime, bump up your water changes and try to siphon the algae out while doing so.

I had a huge problem with this stuff when I first started out. All I did was add powerheads for more flow and eventually I had to use the red slime remover by since I've added the powerheads and a protein skimmer its been kept at bay. I've only seen a speck of it here and there.

Algae problems are usually caused by aquarium water with excess nutrients like phosphate, nitrates etc. You can try and siphon out what you can to remove the algae in the short term. In the long term you may have to examine how you care for your tank. There are some commercial dry foods also contain excess nutrients and other undesirable things like nitrates, phosphates etc so I strain/rinse my fresh/frozen foods before feeding my tank. You may want to consider feeding your fish less often. Also using RO/DI water and a high quality salt with little if any NO3, phosphates etc like Tropic Marin will really help too. Adding a phosphate remover and increasing flow in your tank may help too.

Back