How to Get the Water Ripple Effect?

kylespringer

Reefing newb
Hi,

I am new here, I am wondering how to get that water reflection effect you see on some tanks, where you can see the water ripple on the coral and rock of the tank as well as light that comes out of the tank onto your floor. It looks so cool, I know you can do it with Halides but they are soooo expensive, is their any other way, they effect can be done? Thanks in advance?

Oh yeah! LEDs do it too! But if you are using any other type of light, any LEDs you put in the tank will be completely overpowered and you won't be able to see them anyways. Set up some LED moonlights to experience it instead. You'll be able to see it if all the other lights are off.

But in reality, there are so many different things to take into consideration when choosing lights for your tank. The shimmering effect is at the bottom of the list when it comes to importance. Yeah it looks cool, but there are so many other things that matter more, that the shimmering effect really shouldn't have a big bearing on your decision.

sometimes you can get a bit of shimmer with decent surface agitation from powerheads opposing each other.... but it's just not the same.

Metal Halides during the day and moonlight led's at night.

I gave up the daylight ripples in favor of the myriad of color options and cooler running lamps of T5 lighting.

Back