how to get very good filtration without much to any flow

joshuashih1

Seahorse Owner
I have a hang on the back filter rated for up to 5 gallons on a 10 gallon and its set to VERY low and its still to strong how do I get the right amount of filtration for a 10 gallon fish tank but with VERY to no flow?

Couple of ideas...
Use bigger diameter pipe on return. (high flow, low pressure)
Return pipe to top. Bring pipe down and exit on surface. Make it "boil" on top of water.
Have return exit on to a plate or pan so that it trickles off of that.

Seahorses still need flow and do okay with flow in the tank as long as its not ridiculously high. I don't think flow from a hang on back filter will cause any problems for them. They are more likely to have problems if you don't have at least some adequate flow in the tank. Have you read through seahorse forums and looked at other peoples set-ups for seahorses? If you are getting them from a reputable dealer they should be able to give you advice on the types of questions you've been asking (flow, feeding, etc)

Seahorses still need some flow. More importantly, you still want a strong ripple effect on the surface to oxygenate the water. Just make sure the water movement is higher towards the top and the lower portions of the tank will be lower flow areas.
The filter rated for 5gallons is not going to overpower seahorses.

However, if you really feel like it's too strong you an disperse the flow with a large rock or something, or by pointing it at the glass.

Back