How to keep tank warm In power outage ?

Lesely

Reefing newb
Hi. Living in aust the summer power outage can be a real problem. But there are ways to cool down a tank. But how the hell do you keep your tank warm in winter outage. ????

Generator! live in florida -scary that I purchased one just to service tanks-I plug the fridge in too-makes it a viable purchase??

You can wrap your tank in blankets if it's not going to be a long power outage.

The lack of water movement is usually more harmful than the temperature drop, though.

i have a generator just for my tank. come fall it goes in the garage with two 5 gallon cans of gas. anyone touches them and they are DEAD. my husband plugs in the curculation pumps and the heat in the tank, the tv and the furnuce. wouldn't wank to be without tv.
300 bucks for a generator is cheap insurance considering the money we spend on our tanks

i put my generator and two 5 gallon cans of gas in the garage in the fall. anyone touches them and they are DEAD. a generator is pretty cheap insurance consideri.ng how much money we spend on our tanks. go to walmart, you can get them real cheap there

i put my generator and two 5 gallon cans of gas in the garage in the fall. anyone touches them and they are DEAD. a generator is pretty cheap insurance consideri.ng how much money we spend on our tanks. go to walmart, you can get them real cheap there
hmmm....cheap. Well you must be very lucky here is Aussie land they are expensive. We just went 3 days ago and bought one, the cheapest one we could get for the size of our tank was $1,187.00. And I still wont be able to run the lights. lol
But yes your right worth it considering the amount of money we invest in the tanks we run.
Thanks.

What you can do, is depending on how warm it is outside, and whether or not you have a gas a stove is take water in a bag/bucket and leave it outside. Or boil some water if your gas stove is still working. Then, let it sit for a minute in a bucket till it's slightly warmer then your tank. Put em in zip lock baggies and float it in the tank. Unfortunately you have to repeat the process over and over for the length of the power outage. The same can be done if the tank gets too hot as well (except by putting a baggy in the freezer and letting it sit inside the tank). Just make sure the baggy is sealed off. Also, to account for lack of water movement in the tank (oxygenation) is to buy a battery powered air pump to keep the oxygen going in the tank. Or, the old fashioned method of taking a cup and scooping water out of the tank and pouring it right back in to create bubbles. And, idk where you guys live, or what you are running on your tank. But, a 900/1100 watt generator should be more then enough as a fail safe for your fish tanks. These can usually be purchased at places like Harbor Freight for 60-100$ depending on whether or not they have a sale going

Last edited:
What you can do, is depending on how warm it is outside, and whether or not you have a gas a stove is take water in a bag/bucket and leave it outside. Or boil some water if your gas stove is still working. Then, let it sit for a minute in a bucket till it's slightly warmer then your tank. Put em in zip lock baggies and float it in the tank. Unfortunately you have to repeat the process over and over for the length of the power outage. The same can be done if the tank gets too hot as well (except by putting a baggy in the freezer and letting it sit inside the tank). Just make sure the baggy is sealed off. Also, to account for lack of water movement in the tank (oxygenation) is to buy a battery powered air pump to keep the oxygen going in the tank. Or, the old fashioned method of taking a cup and scooping water out of the tank and pouring it right back in to create bubbles. And, idk where you guys live, or what you are running on your tank. But, a 900/1100 watt generator should be more then enough as a fail safe for your fish tanks. These can usually be purchased at places like Harbor Freight for 60-100$ depending on whether or not they have a sale going
yup/ like i said- walmart . nice little 400 0r 600 watt will run your powerheads nicely and leave enough for the tv and run you couple hundred buckd

Just take each coral out one at a time an warm it I your embrace then place it lovingly back in the tank, that should keep it warm through the night. :D
+We here in aussie have one word for a shit stirrer like you - hmmmmm dam I am not allowed to say it....lol

Back