How to kill a Torch Coral

sen5241b

Reef enthusiast
Sometimes you just learn the hard way. Had a clam on a rock and rotated the rock around then the clam moved himself to face the light more directly. The clam moved himself slowly over the course of 2 or 3 weeks and in so doing gradually brought more shade on my torch coral. The torch still got light from my MH but just not as much. I then did a rock re-arrangement and put the torch back under direct light without really moving him any closer to the light. He died in a matter of 3 days. The dead torch had given birth to a baby torch inches away. The baby was always in direct light and it is still fine, as is my other green torch. The coral did at one point become detached and roll on the sand with the tentacles face down for about a half hour but I cannot believe that killed it.

Take note of corals in shade when moving rock around.

I have had torches and other euphylia die from a 10 minute trip home from the LFS. Perfectly healthy at the store, got injured from hitting the side of the bag, flesh gets damaged, then within a few days to a week, the flesh just keeps receding. From my experience, they dont recover well from flesh damage.

But that does not rule out that the increase of light could have been a factor. Maybe had the damage from falling not occured, then the torch would have been fine.

Once my torch had an acro fall on it. That head started to die right away, as was expected, and then a few other heads started to die as well, and after some fragging, the coral was fine, but I think with Euphyllia's, once part of it starts to go downhill, it seems like the entire colony will start to die with it.

I agree with you guys, once something bad happens to part of the coral, it's very difficult to turn things around. Even if they are separate heads! Overall, they are very easy and hardy corals, but once they decide their time is up, there's not much you can do about it! I lost one of the hammers in my 90 a few weeks ago for no apparent reason. One day it was fine, I turn on the lights the next morning, and every bit of flesh is gone. :grumble:

I think you all are right. Falling on its head did some damage. But we have to look at multiple factors. At the same time I had a small ammonia spike that I dealt with using ammonia lock and two 50% change outs. I think ammonia, light change and damaged tissue combined to kill it.

Was this a case of spreading "soft tissue necrosis' that I have read about?

Back