How to overstock FOWLR/FOT

Id like to pull some quotes from the article you linked to:

this is not a system the typical home hobbyist should attempt to emulate.

we absolutely DO NOT recommend or condone this type of aquarium or the stocking practices demonstrated by the owner...sometimes, there is even a lesson to be learned from a bad example!

...with emphasis. :)

Here is another gem!

In the eight months sense the salinity of the Angelfish community tank was adjusted to 15 ppt, there have been no ectoparasite problems of any kind. Period. This includes the outbreaks of Cryptocaryon and Oodinium that eventually doomed Travis' early attempts to establish such an Angelfish aquarium.

Obviously these fish arent healthy if you absolutely have to keep the salinity so low that there is no change of disease. And if I believe that this long term hyposalinity is not healthy for the fish. A great treatment, not a permeant way of life. I also think this is why there is no aggression, if you felt like shit all the time because your environment wasnt correct, why would you bother with the new guy?

I see your 50 fish in a tiny tank and raise you 1 horse in a car. And the horse loves eating cows! Because that's perfectly natural for a horse....You see back before we domesticated them, horses were known as Saber Tooth Ponies. Very dangerous animals...

I think you get my point.

:shock::shock::shock:

I ride horses. That seems completely impossible. Are you sure it's legitimate? Wat, I've got a saber-tooth pony!!!:rofl:

Duncan, it doesn't make any sense why you would use your first post to discus something that people are bound to disagree with. I've got to agree with Cathic, I also smell a troll.

It would have been okay if you had admitted that overstocking is a bad idea, but to argue when people make statements that clearly deny what you are saying is true? :nono:

I"m just trying to say is that you CAN overstock a marine tank.

You can. Of course. That doesn't mean the fish will live long or be healthy. Just because you can do something doesn't make it right, and it doesn't mean you should. ;)

I can put a trigger in a goldfish bowl. I can also drink an entire bottle of Tabasco if I wanted to. Should I? Probably not.

Part of being a responsible reef keeper (and fish keeper) is not doing things you want simply because you can. You must also keep in mind what's right for your animals and what's right for the reputation of the hobby.

Last edited:
You can. Of course. That doesn't mean the fish will live long or be healthy. Just because you can do something doesn't make it right, and it doesn't mean you should. ;)

Again, +1 Biff.

Bifferwine said:
I can put a trigger in a goldfish bowl. I can also drink an entire bottle of Tabasco if I wanted to. Should I? Probably not.

+2 Biff.

Fish are living things, not some bauble that can be replaced simply becasue you dont understand what the hell you're doing when you decide to keep them or you decide to take blatantly wrong advice.

You could put one fish per square inch of water in the tank and they may survive for a time, but that is not how they occur in nature, and its bound to make them uncomfortable and unhappy.

And since when is 8 months of running considered succsessful for a marine tank? Everything I've read says it takes 6 months to a year for a tank to settle in and become stable....

I see your 50 fish in a tiny tank and raise you 1 horse in a car. And the horse loves eating cows! Because that's perfectly natural for a horse....You see back before we domesticated them, horses were known as Saber Tooth Ponies. Very dangerous animals...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PErFJsqbUqo

I'll take your horse in a car and I'll raise you one buffalo!
(It starts at 1:20 in)
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEGB6hJ1C0g&feature=related[/ame]

Ya know what I say to this whole thread?

HONEY BADGER DON'T GIVE A SHIT.:D

HONEY BADGERS ARE CRAAZZZZY!:D

If you don't try, how would you know?

I TOTALLY 100% agree with this!!!

BUT there is a difference between "trying" something new to benefit the livestock, to emulate their natural environment as much as possible....and trying something just because you think it would look totally cool to shove 5 fish in a 10g. What you are suggesting goes nowhere near creating a better artificial living space for fish. You are wanting to just have more fish.

I'm more into the fish, than the corals. I TOTALLY want to shove all sorts of fish in my 125g. But as it is, I'm nearing capacity. Sure...I could put more in because it's a big tank...but I also don't want my fish resorting to killing other fish because they want their space.
(Was my BUT big enough? :bounce: )

This includes the outbreaks of Cryptocaryon and Oodinium that eventually doomed Travis' early attempts to establish such an Angelfish aquarium

This dude has tried, and clearly failed. I would bet multiple times. And i bet if we checked in a few months, this too would be another fail.

I think I'll put several of these in my 75 gallon reef tank that I'm working on. What do you guys think? I've heard they can live several hours in saltwater.

post-285-1234492489.jpg

Last edited:
I think I'll put several of these in my 75 gallon reef tank that I'm working on. What do you guys think? I've heard they can live several hours in saltwater.

bwhahahahahaha! I think thats a fantastic idea!

How about a couple of these while were at it?

manatee.jpg

I think they should do well together in a 75!

I read the second article and you can overstock and the fish will be fine IF you do this from the article:"

With that in mind, a 250-gallon aquarium equipped with an equally large sump was installed in order to provide stable conditions for the community tank.

Can we talk about that horse now???

Omg, that was funny! I want patches to come to my house!!

In case yall missed it!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PErFJsqbUqo]YouTube - Car riding horse ! yes that's what it says[/ame]

Back